Jill brings a blend of strategic thinking, practical problem-solving and procedural experience to resolve complex class action, product liability, financial services and general commercial litigation files for clients.
An experienced commercial litigator, Jill is the Chair of our National Class Actions Group and Practice Lead of our Vancouver Litigation group. She is also a member of our firm’s Financial Services Litigation group and Consumer and Retail group.
Clients appreciate Jill’s ability to simplify complicated legal problems, identify priorities, develop a strategy to navigate through the labyrinth of complexities and arrive at a winning resolution. During her career Jill has defended clients in industries such as retail & consumer markets, retail, insurance & reinsurance and manufacturing, in numerous class action lawsuits, including in relation to breach of contract, economic torts and restitution, price-fixing, product liability and privacy. She has also represented financial institution clients in an assortment of matters such as in relation to mortgage terms, de-marketing and fraud, and has defended clients in consumer litigation matters, including in relation to the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act.
Jill’s representative experience includes:
- defending a large financial institution in a class action regarding billions of dollars in credit card fees.
- defending a large financial institution in a class action regarding Balance Protection Insurance.
- defending clients in a variety of industries in product liability class actions.
- defending price fixing class actions for several different global producers of food and technological products.
- defending a large multi-national technology company in a class action based on privacy and geo-location issues filed against the manufacturer of a major hand-held device.
- defending a large financial institution in a class action and related proceedings regarding an alleged Ponzi scheme.
- defending a drug producer against a class action regarding consumer protection claims.
- defending various financial institutions on class actions regarding various fees charged to customers.
- representing government bodies in a significant dispute regarding an outsourcing contract.
- representing both vendors and purchasers in a variety of contractual disputes.
- representing a major developer in a significant dispute over closing terms to a win at trial and on appeal.
- representing developers in a variety of other disputes including in relation to contracts, closing terms and the Strata Property Act.
FINANCIAL SERVICES LITIGATION
- defending financial institutions in relation to various class actions (see above).
- defending a financial institution and its board members in relation to allegations of conspiracy and fraud.
- defending a financial institution in relation to an alleged Ponzi scheme.
- defending a financial institution in relation to allegations of defamation.
- defending a financial institution in relation to de-marketing clients.
Jill is the editor of the fourth edition of Defending Class Actions in Canada, published by LexisNexis, and was a co-editor and contributing author to the previous editions. She is also a frequent presenter on class actions and other litigation topics at Canadian Bar Association events and other conferences. These are important commitments to Jill as they represent opportunities to provide the marketplace with a broader context of the class action and litigation landscape. By being made aware of the latest trends, how the law is evolving and how cases are being resolved in different industries, Jill believes the marketplace will be better informed and have a richer perspective from which to view their own legal challenges from.
Jill received her BSc (Biological Sciences) from the University of Lethbridge in 1998, where she received the Gold Medal and the Governor General's medal. Jill received her LLB from the University of British Columbia in 2001. After graduating from law school, Jill clerked for the Chief Justice of the British Columbia Court of Appeal. She was called to the bar of British Columbia in 2002 and is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Vancouver Bar Association. She is the Chair of the Consumer Litigation Committee of the International Bar Association and is the past chair of the Class Actions Section of the Canadian Bar Association, British Columbia.
Leading Lawyer: Dispute Resolution - Class Actions (Defence) & Litigation: General Commercial - British Columbia
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Repeatedly Recommended: Class Actions and Litigation - Corporate Commercial
Best Lawyers in Canada
Class Action Litigation “Lawyer of the Year” in Vancouver
Litigation Star - Class Actions and Product Liability
Who’s Who Legal: Canada
Leading Lawyer - Product Liability Defence
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer in the areas of Corporate and Commercial Litigation and Class Action Litigation