Eli successfully resolves disputes by strategically working with clients to advance their interests.
Eli Mogil is a partner in our Litigation Group in Toronto. He has an active business litigation practice with particular emphasis on shareholder, contractual and real estate disputes. With extensive courtroom experience, Eli is prepared to advocate for clients all the way to trial.
Eli focuses his practice on the key sectors growing our economy: financial services, real estate, professional services, and large private companies/entrepreneurs. He has a particular focus on real estate disputes (acting for investors, developers, leading landlords and major institutional tenants) and auditors/accountant negligence disputes, having acted for leading multi-national firms. Eli has experience before juries, arbitration panels, administrative and regulatory tribunals, which allows him to provide clients with thoughtful legal advice.
Eli's notable recent engagements include :
- Private arbitration on ownership/sale of $40MM development lands
- Representation of leading constructor/landlord in respect of office tower development dispute
- Representation of leading condominium developer in claim against mechanical engineer
- Representation of major financial institutions in $60MM claim in respect of securities pricing data
- Counsel for financing company in respect of ownership of the scoreboard in an NHL arena
- Acting for multi-national auditor defending $50MM claim arising from failed hedge fund
- Lawyer for leading property management firm in respect of defect claim in shopping centre
Eli's business courtroom experience has been accompanied by his work for doctors before the Ontario courts and administration tribunals, and prosecuting on behalf of the Ontario College of Teachers. This experience provides him the experience and fortitude to strategically take business disputes all the way to court if need be.
Eli received his BA in History and Government from Cornell University and his LLB from the Osgoode Hall Law School. While in law school, he served as Minister's Counsel with Citizenship and Immigration Canada, as part of the department's War Crimes Unit.
Eli taught at the University of Toronto Trial Advocacy Program. He has served as President of the Board of Directors of the Leo Baeck Day School and is an active member of the Canadian Jewish Political Affairs Committee.
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Litigation - Corporate Commercial; Professional Liability