David Crane is a partner in the Vancouver office practising in the Business Law Group and Technology & Licensing Industry Group. His practice focuses primarily on technology or technology company-related mergers and acquisitions, financings, business formation, strategic alliances and complex commercial transactions, including outsourcings, telecom services agreements, and IT procurement, implementation and licensing.He also advises clients in a broad range of sectors on strategies and issues relating to technology commercialization, intellectual property, e-commerce, data privacy, anti-spam, and social media.
David's recent experience includes:
- acting for multiple Canadian banks with respect to a multi-billion dollar financial processing services outsourcing;
- acting for multiple public sector entities with respect to the replacement of shared IT systems and the outsourcing of application management services;
- acting for multiple public sector entities with respect to a $1 billion telecommunications services agreement;
- acting for a Canadian bank with respect to $1.25 billion telecommunications services agreement;
- acting for various customers with respect to the negotiation of numerous complex IT-related services agreements, including for cloud, systems integration and application management services;
- acting for various companies and investors with respect to private equity financings; and
- acting on the purchase and sale of numerous private businesses.
Earlier in his career, David practiced as in-house counsel for a TSX-listed international technology product development company.
David is a frequent speaker at industry and legal conferences, and authors publications on numerous topics, including letters of intent, shareholder agreements, commercial drafting, outsourcing, cloud computing, anti-spam law, cybersecurity and start-up issues.
David received a B.Comm. (Honours with Distinction) from the University of Manitoba in 1997 and his LLB from the University of British Columbia in 2001. He was called to the British Columbia bar.