Amanda Gravel is an associate in our Litigation Group in Montréal. Her litigation practice focuses on class actions, commercial and civil litigation, as well as medical liability.
Amanda’s commercial practice notably focuses on consumer protection and product liability class actions. She has defended large corporations in class actions alleging violations of the Quebec Consumer Protection Act, as well as manufacturing defects. Amanda’s class action experience includes work on multi-jurisdictional class actions. She also contributed to the American Bar Association’s class action chapter of the 2019 Annual Review of Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation and was a contributing author to the fifth edition of McCarthy Tétrault's Defending Class Actions in Canada, published by LexisNexis. Amanda frequently provides advice to clients on compliance with the Quebec Consumer Protection Act.
In addition, Amanda has represented physicians before both civil Courts and disciplinary committees.
Amanda’s representative experience includes acting for:
- A technology company in a class action concerning free trial periods and alleged violations of the Consumer Protection Act;
- A technology company in a class action alleging a manufacturing defect in a laptop and false advertising;
- A major retail company in a class action concerning extended warranties that allegedly violated the Consumer Protection Act;
- A technology company in a class action alleging planned obsolescence;
- A company operating an online payment system in a class action alleging breaches in relation to foreign exchange conversion and violation of the Consumer Protection Act;
- Professionals in cases brought against them concerning civil liability.
Amanda obtained her civil law degree (LL.B.) from Université de Montréal in 2016, where she graduated on the Dean’s list. In her third year of law school, she served as a judicial clerk for two judges of the Superior Court of Québec.
Amanda is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Young Bar Association of Montreal. She was called to the Québec Bar in 2017. Amanda is a board member of the Regroupement québécois de la danse and a mentor with the Martin Family Initiative.