Lawyer Profile Detail
Robert O. Hansen
Osgoode Hall Law School
Robert Hansen is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto.
Robert’s core practice involves advising on mergers and acquisitions and capital markets transactions. Purchasers, vendors, targets and special committees of boards of directors rely on Robert’s advice in connection with the purchase and sale of shares and assets of public and private companies. Issuers, investment dealers and investors look to Robert in connection with offerings of equity and debt securities by way of private placement and prospectus (including initial public offerings, new issues and secondary offerings). Robert also regularly advises clients on continuous disclosure and corporate governance matters.
In 2008, Robert was named among Lexpert’s "Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40". Robert is also recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Corporate Commercial Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Finance & Securities, Private Equity and Corporate Mid-Market). He is also listed as a leading lawyer in the current edition of the IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms in the areas of banking, investment management, technology & telecommunications, and construction and materials.
Robert is on the faculty of The Directors College, Canada’s first university accredited corporate director development program, founded by the Conference Board of Canada and the DeGroote School of Business at McMaster University. Robert also teaches a seminar for the advanced securities law programs at the University of Windsor and the University of Western Ontario.
He received his Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons.) from the School of Business & Economics at Wilfrid Laurier University in 1993, and his LLB from the Osgoode Hall Law School in 1997. Robert was called to the Ontario bar in 1999.
RECENT M&A TRANSACTIONS
Robert has recently advised:
- BCE in connection with its acquisition of Manitoba Telecom Services
- Bluesky Hotels and Resorts on its acquisition of InnVest REIT
- GE Capital on the sales of its commercial distribution finance business to Wells Fargo, transportation finance business to Bank of Montreal and franchise finance business to Canadian Western Bank
- Maxium Financial Services on its sale to Canadian Western Bank
- Lafarge Canada on its joint venture with Quality Concrete in Eastern Canada
- ORBCOMM on its acquisition of SkyWave Mobile Communications
- Lafarge Canada on its acquisition of the ready-mix business of James Dick Construction Ltd.
- CIBC on the sale of its Aeroplan credit card portfolio to TD Bank
- GE Capital on the sale of its vehicle fleet leasing business to Element Financial
- Primaris REIT on its sale to a consortium led by H&R REIT and KingSett Capital
- Leon’s Furniture on its acquisition of The Brick
- Score Media on its sale to Rogers and the spin-out to its shareholders of theScore
- ABRY Partners in connection with the sale of Q9 Networks to Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, Providence Equity Partners, Madison Dearborn Partners LLC and BCE
- BCE in connection with its acquisition of an interest in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment
- Scotiabank on its sale of TLS Fleet Systems to Element Financial
- BCE on its acquisition of CTV Globemedia from The Woodbridge Company, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and Torstar
RECENT CAPITAL MARKETS TRANSACTIONS
Robert has also recently advised:
- the underwriters on a bought deal equity public offering by BCE for proceeds of $862 million
- theScore on a bought deal equity public offering for proceeds of $26.5 million
- theScore on a bought deal equity public offering and concurrent private placement for proceeds of $17.25 million
- the underwriters on an equity public offering by Spectra7 Microsystems for proceeds of $8.05 million
- the underwriters on a secondary equity public offering by shareholders of DHX Media for proceeds of $133 million and a bought deal equity public offering by DHX Media for proceeds of $40.3 million
Who Owns That Land? New Requirements for Ontario Corporations with an Ownership Interest in Land
IIROC Releases Final Guidance on Underwriting Due Diligence
Canadian Securities Administrators Propose Significant Amendments to Rights Offering Regime
Ontario Proposes Four New Capital Raising Prospectus Exemptions
M&A Agreements — Practical advice on negotiating and structuring key M&A agreements from leading Canadian companies and professionals
6th Annual M&A Skills Boot Camp
Overview and Getting Started
Canadian Securities Administrators Propose Significant Changes to the Prospectus Pre-Marketing and Marketing Regime
Overview of M&A and Getting Started
OSC Provides Guidance on Use of Rights Plans: Baffinland
McCarthy Tétrault congratulates its Canadian Dealmaker award-winning clients
McCarthy Tétrault Partners Honoured as "Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40"
13 new equity partners at McCarthy Tétrault
The Next Generation: McCarthy Tétrault Welcomes 20 New Income Partners in 2005
Transactions & Cases
Bluesky Hotels and Resorts completes $2.1B acquisition of InnVest REIT
Affinia Group completes its merger with MANN+HUMMEL for USD $1.32 billion
Orbcomm to acquire Skywave Mobile Communications for US$130 million
DHX Media completes C$133 million secondary offering
CIBC completes C$3.3 billion sale of 50% of its Aerogold VISA portfolio to TD Bank
DHX Media closes C$40.3 million offering of common shares
Diversinet completes C$3.5 million sale of its business to subsidiaries of IMS Health
GE Capital completes C$570 million sale of its Canadian fleet portfolio to Element Financial
Marcopolo completes C$116.4 million investment in New Flyer
GE Canada Real Estate Equity sells Ontario property portfolio for C$1 billion