Lawyer Profile Detail
Robert O. Hansen
Osgoode Hall Law School
Robert Hansen is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto. His core practice involves advising on mergers and acquisitions and capital markets transactions. Robert acts for purchasers, vendors, targets and special committees of boards of directors in connection with the purchase and sale of shares and assets of public and private companies. His capital markets practice involves advising issuers, investment dealers and investors in connection with offerings of securities by way of private placement and prospectus (including initial public offerings, new issues and secondary offerings).
Recent transactions in which Robert has been involved include advising:
- Leon’s Furniture Limited on its proposed acquisition of The Brick Ltd.
- Score Media Inc. on its sale to Rogers Media Inc. and the spin-out to its shareholders of theScore, Inc.
- ABRY Partners in connection with the sale of Q9 Networks to Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, Providence Equity Partners, Madison Dearborn Partners LLC and BCE Inc.
- BCE Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd.
- The Bank of Nova Scotia on its sale of TLS Fleet Systems to Element Financial Corporation
- BCE Inc. on its acquisition of CTV Globemedia Inc. from The Woodbridge Company Limited, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and Torstar Corporation
- Petrobank Energy and Resources Ltd. on the spin-out of Petrominerales Ltd. to its shareholders
- Sceptre Investment Counsel Limited on its merger with Fiera Capital Inc. to form Fiera Sceptre Inc.
- Labrador Iron Ore Royalty Income Fund on its conversion to a corporation
- Fairmont Raffles Holdings International in connection with an equity investment by Voyager Partners Limited and a strategic alliance with QD Hotel & Property Investment Limited
- Lafarge Canada Inc. on the sale of its asphalt and paving operations to Coco Paving Inc.
- Lafarge Canada Inc. on the sale of Pre-Con Inc. to Armtec Infrastructure Income Fund
- The Bank of Nova Scotia in connection with its acquisition of an interest in CI Financial Corp. from Sun Life Financial Inc.
Robert is on the faculty of The Directors College, Canada’s first university accredited corporate director development program, founded by the Conference Board of Canada and the DeGroote School of Business at McMaster University. Robert also teaches a seminar for the advanced securities law programs at the University of Windsor and the University of Western Ontario.
He received his Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons.) from the School of Business & Economics at Wilfrid Laurier University in 1993, and his LLB from the Osgoode Hall Law School in 1997. Robert was called to the Ontario bar in 1999.
6th Annual M&A Skills Boot Camp
Overview and Getting Started
Canadian Securities Administrators Propose Significant Changes to the Prospectus Pre-Marketing and Marketing Regime
Overview of M&A and Getting Started
OSC Provides Guidance on Use of Rights Plans: Baffinland
TMX and LSE Merger: What Does it Mean for our Clients and Friends?
The Clash of the Rights Plan Cases: Should I Stay or Should?
CSA Staff Certification Compliance Update
CSA Proposes Amendments to Streamline Communication with Beneficial Owners
7th Annual Disclosure & Governance Seminar
Transactions & Cases
Primaris completes plan of arrangement
Leon's completes C$700 million acquisition of The Brick
Brake Parts completes sale to investor group led by Torque Capital Group
Score Media completes C$167 million sale to Rogers Media
Q9 Networks completes C$1.1 billion sale to investor group and Bell
DHX Media completes C$19.5 million public offering of subscription receipts
BCE and Rogers complete C$1.07 billion acquisition of interest in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment
The Bank of Nova Scotia Completes Sale of TLSI Holdings Inc. to Element Financial Corporation
Noranda Operating Trust Issues $90 million of notes and enters into $150 million credit facility
BCE Completes Acquisition of CTV Inc.