Widespread data breach incidents have become more commonplace—impacting governments, financial institutions and retailers. Even the best information security platforms must be sustained by a thorough and tested incident response plan. Swift, coordinated action is imperative to reduce the risk of enforcement actions or litigation and the reputation impact that could result from a data breach.
In addition, the Digital Privacy Act (Bill S-4) introduced a new set of obligations with respect to breaches of privacy safeguards, accompanied by new and significant fines.
Companies must put strategies and policies in place to mitigate the potentially irreparable damage to their reputation and bottom line. We have assisted a range of clients to take the proactive steps towards a response and readiness plan that protects their customers, employees and management teams from financial damages and irreparable harm to their reputation.
How it Works
We audit the existing incident response plan, from which we prepare a gap assessment report with actionable recommendations to ensure a complete readiness plan with specific accountabilities. We also scope the requirements for a new response and readiness platform If no plan is in place.
We assist in drafting, updating and/or implementing the incident response plan in conjunction with key stakeholders. We also provide additional services on a fixed fee basis, including simulated ‘incident’ workshops, internal training and integration of public relations and government relations strategies.
How Clients Benefit
- Best in class expertise: We offer the expertise of Canada’s first multi-disciplinary Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection Group that sees us combine legal expertise, current and future awareness with our key regulatory relationships to deliver innovative, leading solutions to mitigate risk around ever changing laws in the fields of cybersecurity, privacy and data protection.
- Protect your privilege: Get the best of both practical business advice and legal risk management, under protection of privilege. As lawyers, our advice and our awareness of internal procedures and policies is protected in potential litigation or enforcement proceedings, unlike business or technology consultancies with similar offerings.
- Proactive approach to mitigate risk: Should our client be faced with a data breach, a proactive, well-prepared, thoughtful incident response plan can help mitigate negative reputational impacts and financial losses following a breach. Our solution leverages our experience in other high-risk breaches to ensure our clients have a well-prepared plan in place. Clients sign on for an easy to understand set of steps and a solution that will be clear to those on the business side, and across the organization.
- Breach incident support: In addition to the readiness review solution, our Rapid Response Team leverages internal resources, existing partnerships and regulatory relationships to provide coordinated, practical breach response advice (legal, business, reputational) to ensure a comprehensive approach in the critical first 72 hours.
- End-to-end solutions: We are happy to provide our clients with a full end-to-end offering in the areas of cybersecurity, privacy and data protection. Our Incident Readiness & Response Plan Diagnostic can be paired with our Digital Privacy Act Compliance Diagnostic and Document Retention Toolkit to offer clients a complete suite of services to maximize risk mitigation in the key areas of paramount importance for our clients.
- Integrated cross border response: We have experience working with companies whose business crosses borders and can leverage our relationships with leading US firms to seamlessly manage the risk created by multiple claims and enforcement actions on both sides of the border.