Borderless Client Service
With seamless collaboration between our practices, offices, and local counsel in the US and across the globe, McCarthy Tétrault helps clients achieve success with their cross-border matters.
McCarthy Tétrault prides itself on partnering with clients throughout their growth cycles. Our strength lies in advising clients with an understanding of their short, medium and long term business goals. As a full-service law firm with proven experience, we provide practical business law advice, focused on our clients' current and future needs.
Positioned to Support Clients
Our New York office exclusively practises Canadian law, delivering real-time solutions on law and business matters for our US clients who operate in Canada. Our presence in New York allows our clients to access the strongest firm in Canada, whether their needs are practice or industry-specific. It also allows our firm to deepen our existing relationships with US law firms to better serve their clients on cross-border issues.
Broad Range of Expertise
Our lawyers have extensive cross-border experience and knowledge, across various industries, with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, and capital markets. No other Canadian firm offers the same depth of expertise across key industry segments, such as power, financial services, real estate, retail, natural resources and technology. Notable cross-border experience includes:
- Enbridge Inc. in its C$37 billion acquisition of Spectra Energy Corp. to create the largest energy infrastructure company in North America
- Canadian counsel to General Electric Capital Corporation and certain affiliates in the sale of its global real estate equity assets and commercial real estate loans to subsidiaries of The Blackstone Group and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
- GE Capital in its US$8.7 billion sale of its transportation finance business to Bank of Montreal
- Morneau Shepell, the pension plan administrator of Nortel Networks, in the US$7.3 billion cross-border insolvency trial resulting from Nortel's bankruptcy
- Bass Pro Group as competition counsel in its US$5.5 billion acquisition of Cabela's
- Vista Equity Partners in the acquisitions of:
- D+H Corporation for US$4.8 billion by way of plan of arrangement
- Obero Technologies Inc. by Xactly Corp.
- QuickMobile Inc. by Cvent, Inc.
- The dealers and lenders in the C$2.2 billion refinancing of GardaWorld Security Corporation's credit facilities in connection with the acquisition by Rhône Capital of the remaining shares of Garda World Security Corporation still held by Apax Partners
- Invenergy Wind LLC in the US$2 billion sale of its wind farm portfolio to TerraForm Power Inc. and SunEdison Inc.
- Mattel, Inc. in the US$1.6 billion credit facility with Bank of America
- NextEra Energy Partners, LP in its US$1.27 billion sale of wind and solar generation assets to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
- The Walt Disney Company in its C$1.25 billion Maple bond offering
- Rayonier Advanced Materials Inc. in its acquisition of Tembec Inc.
- Royal Gold, Inc. in the restructuring of its streaming interest in the Mount Milligan Mine related to Centerra Gold Inc.'s US$1.1 billion acquisition of Thompson Creek Metals Company Inc. and the acquisition of the gold and silver streams from Barrick Gold's interest in the Pueblo Viejo Mine in the Dominican Republic
- Canadian counsel to certain shareholders of The Stars Group Inc. in its public offering of common shares
- Teralys Capital Fund of Funds, L.P. and Fondaction in their C$840 million investment in the NOVACAP TMT V Fund
- Canadian securities counsel to Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers in the US$758.5 million acquisition of IronPlanet
- Fusion Telecommunications International in its US$600 million acquisition of the Cloud and Business Services unit of Birch Communications
- Bombardier Inc. in connection with the negotiation of a global outsourcing agreement for information technology services regrouped into seventeen service towers
- Rhône Capital in its US$500 million equity investment in HBC
- Oaktree Capital Management in its acquisition of NAPEC Inc. for C$320 million
- Ares Management L.P. in the acquisition of Convergint Technologies, a leading global independent security integrator
- InstarAGF Asset Management Inc. in the acquisition of AMPORTS, Inc.
Awards & Rankings
- Over 600 lawyers in offices in all major business centers across
Canada, as well as New York and in London
- Acted for 44 of the largest 50 Canadian companies and for 33 of the largest 50 foreign-controlled companies in Canada in the past five years.
Band 1 - International Trade/WTO
Chambers Global 2019
Internationally Recognized as a Leading Canadian Firm
Financial Post 500
Acted for 40 of the largest 50 Canadian companies and for 33 of the largest 50 foreign-controlled companies in Canada in the past five years
Recently awarded Law Firm of the Year for Technology
3rd Annual Canadian Fintech & AI Awards
Recently awarded Law Firm of the Year
IJGlobal Americas Deal of the Year Awards
Recent winner of three IJGlobal Americas Deal of the Year Awards
Refinitiv league tables
Ranked #1 firm in the Global Principal Advisors Completed table for M&A deals by value
Refinitiv league tables
Ranked #1 Canadian firm in the Global Completed table for M&A deals by value
Bloomberg league tables
Ranked #1 Canadian firm for Global Private Equity Deals by value
Financial Post league tables
Ranked #1 firm for Underwriters on Equity and Debt offerings by deal count
Bloomberg league tables
Ranked #1 firm for Manager on Canada Equity Offerings by value