Proficient and proactive counsel empowering strong relationships with your workforce
Whether a business or public sector organization, your success depends on maintaining productive alliances with your people. Collaborate with expert counsel to avoid costly missteps.
Your regulatory resource
With lawyers recognized by Chambers Global for their expertise in labour and employment, we keep you at the forefront of new practices, policies and laws. Our clients include companies subject to provincial and federal regulation, Canadian universities in all provinces, as well as national transportation, communications, logistics, and retail organizations. Some of our notable experience includes:
- representing a major university with regard to numerous complaints filed by unions and individual employees before the Pay Equity Commission;
- advising First Canada ULC, an operator of public transit systems, under contract on all aspects of response to a strike by Amalgamated Transit Union, including appearing at the labour relations board to enjoin unlawful picketing;
- serving the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation by advising on a high profile wrongful dismissal matters and investigations;
- acting as lead spokesperson on behalf of the Ontario government in collective bargaining with the union representing all Ontario provincial police officers;
- representing the Ontario Lottery & Gaming Corporation at rights and interest labour arbitrations plus in a strike-related junction; and
- advising Fairmont Raffles Hotels International following its acquisition in how to deal with the provision of benefits to affected employees.
We know your sector and respect your style
Our deep pool of talent lets us assemble a legal team with the right strategic skills and industry experience for your requirements. We develop creative solutions to manage the employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions and high profile solvency mandates daily. Negotiating collective agreements and advising on labour litigations and legislative compliance, we help you stay on top of the full spectrum of employment affairs, offering superior support in:
- Employment policies and practices. We help you develop your employment strategy, policies and practices. When that involves outsourcing or privatization, we also provide assistance with planning and implementation.
- Executive employment. We assist you in drafting employment contracts, compensation packages and termination agreements.
- Employment standards. We advise you on your legal obligations and can represent you before employment standards tribunals.
- Disability management. We develop strategies to support individuals with disabilities in the workplace and assist you in structuring wellness and attendance management programs.
- Restrictive Covenants. We help you construct confidentiality, non-solicitation and, where appropriate, non-competition provisions and enforce them against transgressions by current or former employees.
- Wrongful dismissal. We represent you prior to and through the civil litigation process, including in court.
In addition to employment affairs, our lawyers bring a wealth of experience in related fields such as human rights, privacy/data protection, pensions and benefits, occupational health, workplace safety and insurance. Frequently speaking and writing for industry groups and the labour and employment bar at large, we hold an annual series of conferences in each of our regions to inform clients on the latest legislative and case law developments with the potential to impact their business.
Manage the challenges of today’s workplace by engaging our talented force.