Removing your obstacles, supporting your success
Our Franchise and Distribution team brings together lawyers from across the country and across all critical disciplines to offer comprehensive, client-focused, and practical legal solutions for the diverse business and operational challenges facing franchise systems today.
Unique, multi-dimensional perspectives
Multi-jurisdictional franchise clients operating in both highly-regulated industries such as automotive, energy, health, and telecommunications, as well as traditional franchise industries such as hospitality, retail and food and beverage, count on our integrated approach and seamless service to drive unparalleled efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
Our team incorporates the insights of trained and experienced in-house counsel from leading franchise systems across multiple sectors, and the nation’s top franchise lawyers recognized by reputable ranking agencies such as Chambers Canada, ensuring your needs are reflected in both the quality of our advice and the enhanced manner in which we deliver legal services.
Clients rely on us for guidance and support with their most pressing legal challenges and opportunities, including:
- establishing appropriate franchise and corporate structures;
- introducing and implementing system changes;
- complying with and considering the application of provincial franchise legislation, including material fact and financial disclosure requirements;
- trademark registrations, protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights;
- drafting and negotiation of letters of intent and subsequent unit, master franchise and area development agreements required for expansion into various jurisdictions;
- preparing national and provincial franchise disclosure documents, including “Canadianizing” foreign-prepared disclosure;
- negotiating and drafting commercial contracts for the sourcing of local products, suppliers and service providers;
- applicable taxation, transfer pricing, customs and trade considerations;
- intra-jurisdictional transfer of goods, services, training teams and collateral services to support the successful expansion and development of the system;
- operations and network development strategies, including supply arrangements, operating policies and performance management and exiting of underperforming or non-compliant franchisees;
- representing franchisors, manufacturers and distributors in litigation and arbitration, including multi party and class action proceedings involving franchise systems and disputes with franchisees; and
- partnering with local counsel, as needed, for comprehensive, integrated and seamless representation across jurisdictions.
Our knowledge of Québec’s distinct language law issues and civil law regime, in particular, is a highly sought after asset.
We support franchise systems large and small, working frequently with high-profile clients including Bell Mobility Inc., Mercedes Benz Canada Inc., Domino’s Pizza of Canada Ltd., Nissan Canada Inc., Suzuki Canada Inc., Paramount Franchise Group, and Pro Oil Canada Inc.
Cost conscious solutions
We offer a variety of creative approaches to pricing and staffing, building a team specifically designed to meet not only your legal but also budgetary needs. Throughout the entire process - from inception, network development, operations, performance management, expansion and litigation - our cost-effective plans and packages give you the bandwidth to focus on work that accelerates returns.
Eclectic knowledge for empirical results.