Xin Gao is a lawyer in our Business Law Group in Montréal and is an active member of McCarthy Tétrault’s Asia Practice Group. Her practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance, with a particular focus on the mining and energy sectors.
Xin’s recent transactions include the following:
Metals and Mining:
- advising Albioma SA on the acquisition of the La Granaudière pellet plant in Saint-Michel-des-Saints, province of Québec, in the context of Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act(Canada) proceedings;
- advising Sayona Mining Limited and its subsidiary Sayona Québec Inc. in connection with its $196 million acquisition of North American Lithium Inc., owner of a lithium mine in Québec, in the context of Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (Canada) proceedings;
- advising Wyloo Metals Pty Ltd in connection with its entering into of a $25 million earn-in option and joint venture arrangement with Orford Mining Corporation in connection with the West Raglan nickel project located in Nunavik, Quebec;
- advising Glencore Canada Corporation, as secured creditor, in connection with the entering into a $180 million senior secured silver stream credit facility between Falco Resources Ltd. and Osisko Gold Royalties Ltd;
- advising Zijin Mining on its C$1.4B acquisition of TSX-listed Continental Gold;
- advising Shandong Gold Mining on its proposed US$300M acquisition of TSX-listed TMAC Resources.
Energy & Infrastructure:
- advising Power Sustainable Capital in the formation of Power Sustainable Energy Infrastructure Partnership, a $1 billion investment platform for renewable energy in North America;
- advising Parkland Corporation in its acquisition of Pétroles Crevier Inc;
- advising Innergex Renewable Energy Inc. in its strategic alliance and private placement with Hydro-Québec;
- advising Enphase Energy, Inc. in the acquisition of Sofdesk Inc.;
- advising Alterra Power Corp. in the sale of its stake in HS Orka hf;
- advising various investors and renewable energy producers in the acquisitions and sales of power generating assets.
- advising Deloitte Canada on the sale of a subset of its small enterprise business to MNP;
- advising Regal Confections in connection with its strategic acquisitions of Tosuta International and Kisko Products;
- advising WSP Global Inc. in the acquisition of Earth Consulting Group;
- advising Bell in its acquisition of Groupe V Média;
- advising TECSYS Inc. in its acquisition of PCSYS A/S, a Danish technology company;
- advising TecAlliance GmbH, a German application software developer and provider in its acquisition of JNP Software International, a Quebec-based software company;
- advising Pomerleau in the acquisition of a minority interest by Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec.
Fluent in French, English and Mandarin, Xin frequently advises Chinese clients on their acquisitions and divestitures in Canada and advises Canadian clients in their relations with Chinese businesses. Xin serves on the board of directors of the Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers - Québec Division (FACL-QC).
Xin obtained her Bachelor of Civil Law degree (LLB) from Université de Montréal in 2012. In 2014, she obtained a Master of International Economic Law (LLM) from China University of Political Science and Law in Beijing.