Trevor Courtis is an associate in our Bankruptcy and Restructuring and Litigation Groups in Toronto. His practice focuses on insolvency and restructuring litigation, distressed asset sales, complex commercial litigation, health and safety and environmental compliance, criminal and quasi-criminal matters and emergency injunctive relief.
Trevor has appeared before many levels of judicial and administrative decision-makers in Ontario, including the Superior Court of Justice, the Commercial List, the Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board, the Competition Tribunal, the Ontario Court of Justice, the Divisional Court and the Court of Appeal.
Bankruptcy and Insolvency
- U.S. Steel Canada: Acted for U.S. Steel Canada (Stelco), one of Canada’s largest integrated steel producers, in its restructuring proceedings under the CCAA.
- Takata Corporation: Acted for Takata Corporation and its affiliates in recognizing U.S. and Japanese restructuring proceedings in Canada under the CCAA.
- Sears Canada Inc.: Acted for Buyers Group of Mississauga in its acquisition of the major appliance warranty business of Sears Canada;
- DragonWave Inc.: Acted for Transform-X in its acquisition of the wireless ethernet and microwave frequency networking equipment business of DragonWave;
- Tricon Films and Television: Acted for SunTrust Bank in the CCAA restructuring proceedings of Tricon Films and Television;
- Cash Store Financial Services Inc.: Acted as counsel to the court-appointed Monitor of Cash Store Financial Services Inc. and its affiliates in CCAA proceedings.
- SunEdison Canadian Construction LP: Acted as counsel to the court-appointed Monitor of SunEdison Canadian Construction LP and its affiliates in CCAA proceedings.
- Tullis Russell Papermakers Limited: Acted as counsel to the foreign representatives of Tullis Russell Papermakers Limited in recognizing UK administration proceedings in Canada under the BIA.
- 1169822 Ontario Limited v. The Toronto-Dominion Bank, 2018 ONSC 1631: Successfully defended The Toronto-Dominion Bank against a claim brought by third party clients of a bank customer.
- Patel v. Harriott, 2017 ONCA 538: Obtained order for specific performance of a residential property sale following the vendors’ refusal to close, which was upheld by the Ontario Court of Appeal.
- Timbercreek Financial Corp.: Obtained court approval of plan of arrangement to amalgamate two corporations into Timbercreek Financial Corp, a leading non-banking commercial real estate lender with a book value at the time of amalgamation of approximately $650 million.
- Anton Piller Order: Obtained Anton Piller order permitting retrieval of sensitive and proprietary data belonging to automotive sector client from hacker.
- Emergency Injunctive Relief: Obtained emergency injunctions on several occasions to remove trespassers from resource sector client assets.
Environmental and Regulatory
- OHSA Appeals: Counsel to major international mining companies in appealing orders issued under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- OHSA and EPA Charges: Defended Canadian industrial, resource and transportation companies against charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Environmental Protection Act.
Trevor received his JD from the University of Saskatchewan College of Law in 2014, graduating in the top five percent of his class. During his time at Saskatchewan, he was awarded the College of Law Academic Excellence Scholarship, the BLG Excellence Award and the Law Foundation of Saskatchewan Scholarship. Trevor completed his studies as a visiting student at Osgoode Hall in 2014. He served as an Editor of the Saskatchewan Law Review and the Osgoode Hall Review of Law and Policy and participated in the International Rounds of the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition in 2013.
Trevor was called to the Ontario Bar in 2015. He is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Turnaround Management Association, the Toronto Region Board of Trade Young Professionals Network, the Toronto Lawyers Association, the Canadian Bar Association, and the Ontario Bar Association.