Toby Allan is a partner in our Business Law Group in Calgary. Toby’s practice focuses on public and private mergers and acquisitions (M&A), corporate finance and general corporate and securities law matters.
Toby has extensive experience advising buyers and sellers in M&A transactions involving take-over bids, plans of arrangement and share and asset purchases and sales, including both domestic and cross-border transactions. Toby also advises a number of issuers and dealers with respect to public and private, domestic and cross-border, debt and equity financings, including medium term note, hybrid debt and preferred share offerings. In addition, Toby assists public issuers with their securities reporting and compliance obligations and corporate governance issues, and has acted as corporate secretary for a number of companies.
Recent transactions Toby has been involved with include:
- Akerna Corp., in connection with its entering into a definitive agreement to acquire all of the issued and outstanding shares of Ample Organics Inc.
- Shaw Communications Inc., in connection with its C$800 million offering of senior notes
- Werklund Growth Fund L.P., in connection with its additional acquisition of equity in Intelligent Wellhead Systems Inc.
- Werklund Growth Fund L.P., in connection with its Series B investment in ATTAbotics, Inc.
- Triumph Group Inc., in connection with the sale of its Canadian machining and fabrication businesses
- CIBC World Markets Inc. and a syndicate of dealers, in connection with Enbridge Inc.’s C$1 billion public offering of medium term notes
- TD Securities Inc. and a syndicate of dealers, in connection with Enbridge Gas Inc.’s C$700 million public offering of medium term notes
- InterGen Capital LP, in connection with its formation and initial financing
- A consortium comprising MIE Holdings Corporation, Can-China Global Resource Fund and Mercuria on their acquisition of 100% of the partnership interests of CQ Energy Canada Partnership from Direct Energy Resources Partnership and undisclosed corporation for a purchase price of C$722 million
- Capital Power Corporation, advising on the acquisition of 284 megawatts (MW, net) of generation from two natural gas-fired power assets in Ontario consisting of the 84 MW East Windsor Cogeneration Centre (East Windsor) and a 50% interest in the 400 MW York Energy Centre (York Energy)
- Shaw Communications Inc., advising on its acquisition of Mid-Bowline Group Corp. and its wholly-owned subsidiary, WIND Mobile Corp. by way of plan of arrangement for an enterprise value of approximately CA$1.6 billion
Toby obtained his B.Sc. in Biology from the University of Victoria in 1998. He received his LLB (with Distinction) from the University of Saskatchewan in 2001.
Toby was called to the Alberta bar in 2002. He is a member of the Law Society of Alberta, the Canadian Bar Association and the Calgary Bar Association.
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Leading lawyer: Capital markets (2014-2020), Capital markets: Equity (2019-2020), M&A (2019-2020) and Energy: Mining (2014-2016)
The Legal 500 Canada
Leading lawyer in the areas of Energy and Natural Resources – Oil and Gas (2019) and Capital Markets (2015, 2017)