Suzie Isabelle Cusson is an associate in our Business Law Group in our Toronto office. She is currently on secondment in our New York office, where she practices Canadian law with a focus on cross-border matters.
Suzie’s practice covers a range of corporate and commercial areas, including capital markets, private equity, private mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance. She has experience contributing to mandates in various industries, with particular involvement in the REIT, insurance and consumer products space.
Her recent representative experience includes:
- Represented Investment Management Corporation of Ontario in connection with numerous co-investments.
- Represented Stonepeak Partners in its debt and equity financing of Akumin’s acquisition of Alliance HealthCare.
- Represented multiple minority private equity investors in primary and secondary investments.
- Represented PlantPlus Foods, Marfrig Global Foods and Archer Daniels Midland Company in an arrangement agreement for PlantPlus Foods Canada Inc.
- Represented Thompson Street Capital Partners in its acquisition of CommonLook, a provider of software and services.
- Represented a European investor in its purchase of a minority stake in a Canadian food industry plant.
- Represented a U.S. early stage investment firm in its purchase of a minority stake in a Canadian-based pet product company.
- Represented General Atlantic in its investment in Open Farm, a pet product company.
- Represented shareholders in the sale of an insurance and reinsurance solutions provider to a private equity firm.
- Represented BioSteel Sports Nutrition in its sale of a majority stake to Canopy Growth.
- Represented The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company in its sale of Regional Power Inc. to CC&L Infrastructure and Desjardins Group Pension Plan.
- Represented a machinery industry company in its purchase of a 100% stake in a medical supply manufacturer.
- Represented multiple issuers, including Summit Industrial Income REIT, Euro Sun Mining Inc., the Empire Life Insurance Company and National Bank of Canada, in prospectus and private placement offerings of equity and debt securities, including limited recourse capital notes (“LRCNs”).
- Represented syndicates of agents and underwriters in multiple prospectus and private placement offerings of equity and debt securities, including the syndicate of agents in the Canadian inaugural offering of LRCNs by Royal Bank of Canada.
- Represented issuers and selling shareholders, including First National Financial Corporation and The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, in secondary offerings of equity.
- Represented IMAX Corporation, as Canadian counsel, in its private placement offering of convertible senior notes and related capped call transaction.
- Represented Stelco Holdings Inc. in its ‘modified Dutch auction’ substantial issuer bid.
- Represented multiple issuers and syndicates of agents, as Canadian counsel, in private placement Maple bond offerings by U.S. issuers, including Athene Global Funding and Verizon Communications Inc.
- Represented issuers and syndicates of agents in the establishment of multiple ‘at-the-market’ programs of issuers including Summit Industrial Income REIT, Canadian Western Bank and WPT Industrial REIT.
Suzie attended the University of Ottawa, where she obtained her JD and LLL in 2017 (Summa Cum Laude; Silver Medalist of the JD Program) and her Honours Bachelor of Commerce, with option in International Management in 2010 (Summa Cum Laude). Prior to law school, Suzie worked in the Canadian federal government in the field of international contract management, advising on complex competitive procurement processes and multilateral arrangements with UN entities and NGOs.
Suzie was called to the Ontario bar in 2018. She is a member of the Ontario Law Society.
Suzie is fluent in English and French.