Possessing broad technical expertise and experience with complex cross-border issues, Stephanie deftly navigates the intricacies of Canada’s tax system.
Stephanie is a partner in McCarthy Tétrault’s National Tax Group and is based in the firm’s Toronto office. Her practice focuses on corporate tax planning, including advising on the tax aspects of cross-border and domestic M&A and corporate reorganizations, structuring Canadian operations and investments, and international tax issues.
Stephanie is known for providing clients with novel solutions to their most difficult issues. With deep technical expertise and experience advising multinational enterprises on their most complex Canadian tax matters, Stephanie’s experience crosses many industries, including technology, media and telecommunications, energy, mining and infrastructure, and consumer goods and retail.
Stephanie is a thought leader in the tax profession, frequently presenting and authoring articles on changes to the tax landscape and what business leaders can do to navigate them. Most recently, Stephanie presented on Canadian tax law changes impacting multinational enterprises to the Tax Executives Institute (Houston Chapter), and co-authored the 2021 Chambers and Partners – Transfer Pricing Practice Guide. She is also an active participant in the tax community, including as a member of the Steering Committee for the Canadian Tax Foundation’s Young Practitioners’ Group (Toronto Chapter).
Stephanie received her JD from the University of Toronto, and an LLM in Taxation Law from Osgoode Hall Law School. Stephanie has also completed CPA Canada’s In-Depth Tax Program.
Publications and Presentations
- Tax School – International Tax Planning Day (Tax Executives Institute – Houston Chapter), October 2021
- COST Canadian Tax Webinar for U.S. Companies (Council on State Taxation), September 2021
- Transfer Pricing Trends and Developments in Canada (Chambers and Partners - Transfer Pricing Global Practice Guide), April 2021 (Co-Author)
- How will the MLI Change the International Tax Landscape? (Canadian Tax Foundation – Toronto Young Practitioners), February 2020
- Case Update (Tax Executives Institute - Litigation Day), September 2018
- The Proposed Amendments to the Drop Shipment Rules: Tidying Up and Filling the Gaps (Federated Press - Sales Tax, Customs & Trade, Volume XIII No. 4), March 2017 (Co-Author)
- Cross-Border Employee Mobility (Bloomberg BNA - International Tax Conference), August 2016