Sonia J. Struthers is a senior partner in the Business Law Group in Montréal. Her practice focuses on capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, securities and financial services regulation and investment products.
Sonia counsels public companies, financial institutions and intermediaries in the areas of corporate finance, reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, governance and compliance. She also advises dealers and advisors in financial services and fund managers as well as clearing houses and other regulated entities in the areas of securities and financial services regulation and investment products with an emphasis on financial products such as collective investment vehicles, structured debt offerings and trading and clearing services.
Sonia has extensive experience acting as:
- counsel to public companies, financial institutions including insurance companies and intermediaries in the areas of corporate finance, reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, governance, regulation and compliance;
- counsel to financial institutions, dealers and advisors in financial services and fund managers as well as clearing houses and other regulated entities with respect to the structuring and regulation of financial products such as hedge funds (domestic and off-shore), mutual funds, pooled funds, segregated funds, structured debt products including linked-note offerings, standardized and OTC derivatives and trading and clearing services.
Professional & Community Activities:
- chair of McCarthy Tétrault’s national Annual Disclosure & Governance Seminar for public companies;
- member of the derivatives consultative committee of the Quebec Autorité des marchés financiers;
- guest lecturer on securities and derivatives law at the Faculties of Law, Laval University and University of Ottawa;
- a director of the Batshaw Centres Foundation which supports the work of the Batshaw Youth & Family Centres’ social services for at-risk Montréal youth;
- (former) chair of the ethics committee and a (former) director of the Canadian Union Insurance Company, a subsidiary of the Co-Operators Group Ltd. (1999 to 2012); and
- (former) head of diversity initiatives and (former) member of the executive committee for McCarthy Tétrault (Québec region).
Sonia received her BA (philosophy) from Vassar College and her BCL and LLB degrees from McGill University.