Sonia Bardakjian is an associate in our Business Law Group in Montreal. Her practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, domestic and cross-border transactions, corporate reorganizations and capital market transactions.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Sonia acted as legal counsel for a multinational entertainment company where she handled internal legal matters ranging from negotiating various commercial contracts to intellectual property and privacy issues. Most recently, Sonia was actively involved in the corporate reorganization and acquisition of the company by a group of investors.
Sonia is also an active member of her community. She is involved with the Society for Orphaned Armenian Relief – Montreal Chapter, a charity that provides humanitarian relief to orphaned Armenian children and adults with disabilities throughout the world. While in law school, she gained valuable legal experience by volunteering at the Legal Information Clinic at McGill University.
Sonia earned a Bachelor of Civil Law (LLB) from Université de Montréal (2017) and was called to the Québec Bar in 2020. She is also a member of the Canadian Bar Association. Sonia is fluent in French, English and Armenian.
Sonia’s recent experience includes representing :
- Enercare in its agreement to acquire all issued and outstanding units of HydroSolution;
- BMO as joint bookrunner, in its offering of C$500 million principal amount of 2.991% senior secured notes by Cogeco Communications on a private placement basis;
- Parkland Corporation in its agreement to acquire Pétroles Crevier Inc;
- Eddyfi/NDT Inc. in its acquisition of Zetec, a subsidiary of Roper Technologies, Inc. for US$350M;
- Paper Excellence Group in its agreement to acquire Resolute Forest Products Inc.; and
- Molson Coors Brewing Company in respect of a variety of corporate and financing matters.