A strategic lawyer and business advisor with vast international experience
Shawn Doyle is the Principal of our Latin America Practice, and a senior member of our Global Metals & Mining Group. He is a seasoned international transactional lawyer and business leader with particularly deep knowledge of all aspects of the global mining industry. He also has extensive background and expertise in Latin America, across industry areas, including on technology, manufacturing, construction and infrastructure matters in Latin America, among others. Clients trust Shawn’s strong negotiating skills and holistic approach to guiding them through corporate and financing transactions, joint-venture structuring, commercial transactions and other corporate law matters.
Clients appreciate that Shawn truly understands business. This is partly a consequence of his having held not only legal, but also executive management positions - particularly in the mining industry. Furthermore, having lived and worked in each of the United States, South America, Europe and Asia, Shawn is fully immersed in the global business environment, and he approaches commercial and legal questions from a distinctly international perspective.
Shawn is based in Santiago, Chile and spends significant time traveling in the Latin American region and in Canada. He is fluent in Spanish and Italian and has a basic knowledge of several other languages.
Shawn obtained his J.D. from Harvard Law School in 2005; he is a member of the Bar in New York (2006) and in British Columbia (2012). He obtained his Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Victoria in 2000. He also studied finance as an exchange student at Thammasat University in Thailand in 1999 and he was an industrial engineering student at the Universidad Católica del Norte in Chile in 1996.
- Global vehicle manufacturer, Stellantis in its second strategic investment in McEwen Copper, bringing its stake up from 14.2% to 19.4%.
- Codelco in relation to the Canadian aspects of its acquisition of Lithium Power International.
- Stellantis in its USD 90 million investment in Argentina Lithium & Energy and associated exchange agreement and offtake agreement.
- B2Gold in its acquisition of a 50% interest in the Gramalote Project in Colombia from AngloGold Ashanti.
- Glencore in the purchase of a 56.25% stake in Minera Agua Rica Alumbrera in Argentina for USD 475 million, plus a royalty.
- Ecora Resources in its USD 20 million royalty financing for Los Andes’ Copper’s Vizcachitas Project in Chile
- Equinox Gold in relation to its Latin American assets, including advice regarding political risk and community relations strategies.
- Stellantis in its acquisition of a 14.2% interest in McEwen Copper, together with an offtake option in respect of the Los Azules Project.
- Compañía Minera María Reyna in the negotiation of various royalty and other contracts with Hudbay concerning certain properties in Peru.
- Vale in the negotiation of a transaction for optioning of a property to a junior mining company, together with royalties and related offtake options.
- Newmont in relation to various matters concerning the Norte Abierto joint venture in Chile.
- Glencore in the purchase of an 18.75% interest in Minera Agua Rica Alumbrera in Argentina from Newmont Corporation for USD 154.9 million.
- South32 on certain royalty-related matters in Chile.
- Mubadala (Abu Dhabi) in its USD 100 million joint venture with Aris Gold Corporation and certain of its affiliates in respect to the Soto Norte project in Colombia.
- Recorrido Latin America SpA in its USD 22.3 million acquisition by a subsidiary of Busbud Inc.
- KGHM International in the sale of its Franke Mine to Minera Las Cenizas for consideration of up to USD 50 million.
- Glencore in the sale of its Bolivian mines to Santa Cruz Silver Mining Ltd. for consideration of up to USD 110 million.
- Great Panther Mining Limited in the reorganization of Cangold Limited’s Mexican assets and in the sale of all of the shares of Cangold Limited to Newrange Gold.
- Great Panther Mining Limited in the sale of its Guanajuato Mine Complex and Topia Mine to Guanajuato Silver Company Ltd.
On Saturday July 1st, the Principal of our Latin American Practice, Shawn Doyle was interviewed on Spanish-language CNN about public policies around mining in Canada and Chile. The interview focused on measures that governments can take to stimulate mining exploration and projects, especially for critical minerals. Shawn also commented on how recent policy changes in Chile have been received by our firm’s mining clients.
The full interview, in Spanish, follows:
Impact of the Chilean elections will have on the mining industry
November 21, 2021
Vancouver, British Columbia
CNBC interviews Shawn Doyle, Principal of our Latin America Practice.
The global metal and mining industry is at the heart of many discussions these days with an increasing number of technologies depending on copper, lithium and other minerals. Chile is at the center of the global copper and lithium industries, making Chilean politics important to these industries.
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Mining
Lexpert Special Edition: Mining