A strategic lawyer and business advisor with vast international experience
Shawn Doyle is the leader of our Latin America Group, and a senior member of our Global Metals & Mining Group. He is a seasoned international transactional lawyer and business leader with particularly deep knowledge of all aspects of the global mining industry. He also has extensive background and expertise in Latin America, across industry areas. Clients trust Shawn’s strong negotiating skills and holistic approach to guiding them through corporate and financing transactions, joint-venture structuring, commercial transactions and other corporate law matters.
Clients appreciate that Shawn truly understands business. This is partly a consequence of his having held not only legal, but also executive management positions - particularly in the mining industry. Furthermore, having lived and worked in each of the United States, South America, Europe and Asia, Shawn is fully immersed in the global business environment, and he approaches commercial and legal questions from a distinctly international perspective.
Shawn is based in Santiago, Chile and spends significant time traveling in the Latin American region and in Canada. He is fluent in Spanish and Italian and has a basic knowledge of several other languages.
Shawn obtained his J.D. from Harvard Law School in 2005; he is a member of the Bar in New York (2006) and in British Columbia (2012). He obtained his Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Victoria in 2000. He also studied finance as an exchange student at the Thammasat University in Thailand in 1999 and he was an industrial engineering student at the Universidad Católica del Norte in Chile in 1996.
- Glencore in the purchase of an 18.75% interest in Minera Agua Rica Alumbrera in Argentina from Newmont Corporation for US$154.9 Million.
- MDC Industry Holding Company LLC in its US$100 Million joint venture with Aris Gold Corporation and certain of its affiliates in respect to the Soto Norte project in Colombia.
- Recorrido Latin America SpA in its US$22.3 Million acquisition by a subsidiary of Busbud Inc.
- KGHM International in the sale of its Franke Mine to Minera Las Cenizas for consideration of up to US $50 Million.
- Glencore in the sale of its Bolivian mines to Santa Cruz Silver Mining Ltd. for consideration of up to US$110 Million.
- Great Panther Mining Limited in the reorganization of Cangold Limited’s Mexican assets and in the sale of all of the shares of Cangold Limited to Newrange Gold.
- Great Panther Mining Limited in the sale of its Guanajuato Mine Complex and Topia Mine to Guanajuato Silver Company Ltd.
Impact of the Chilean elections will have on the mining industry
November 21, 2021
Vancouver, British Columbia
CNBC interviews Shawn Doyle, Leader of our Latin America Practice.
The Global Metal and Mining industry is at the heart of many discussions these days with an increasing number of technologies depending on natural resources and our clients being behind some of the largest mining companies.
Shawn Doyle, Leader of our Latin America Practice participated in a panel discussion regarding Latin American legal and regulatory systems and how they impact investment in mining in Latin America at the annual conference of the Argentine Institute of Mining Law (Institution Argentina de Derecho para la Minería).