Shawn Burns is an Associate in our Business Law Group in Vancouver. His practice focus is technology, privacy, data protection and general commercial contracting.
Shawn’s experience includes acting on a number of significant technology-related infrastructure projects and drafting and advising on a range of cloud services agreements, technology integration and implementation projects, software licensing agreements and general commercial contracts. Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Shawn practiced with a leading global law firm as a technology, media and telecommunications lawyer at their office in Brisbane, Australia.
His recent experience includes acting for:
- a multinational energy corporation with respect to a large ERP systems integration project;
- a large financial institution with respect to the purchase and implementation of two critical cloud-based solutions;
- a national engineering services company with respect to a data breach incident;
- a multinational management corporation with respect to a cloud-based financial systems upgrade, including the development of custom functionality;
- the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in relation to the design, build, construction and maintenance of a subsea fibre optic cable system linking Australia, Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands;
- NBN Co (an Australian Commonwealth company) on various legal and strategic elements of its National Broadband Network rollout project (Australia's largest-ever infrastructure project), particularly in relation to the telecommunications regulatory, IT and data protection, and general commercial contracting streams of that project;
- the City of the Gold Coast on end-to-end regulatory and strategic elements of a proposed fibre optic cable network rollout and public Wi-Fi deployment project in advance of the 2018 Commonwealth Games; and
- a confidential client in relation to regulatory and strategic elements of a potential large-scale disclosure of employee and contractor personal information for business analytics purposes.
Shawn obtained his B.A. (major in history) from the University of Victoria in 2011, and received his L.L.B. (with distinction) from Griffith University in 2014.
Shawn was admitted as a lawyer in Queensland in 2015 and was called to the bar in British Columbia in 2019.