Shawn Burns is an Associate in our Business Law Group in Vancouver. His practice focus is technology, privacy, anti-spam, data protection and general commercial contracting.
Shawn’s experience includes acting on a number of significant technology transactions, including drafting, negotiating and advising on a range of cloud services agreements, technology integration and implementation projects and software licensing agreements and general commercial contracts. Shawn also has significant experience acting for both purchasers and sellers in the privacy, technology and anti-spam workstreams of both small and large-scale corporate acquisitions.
His recent experience includes acting for:
- a cloud services vendor on the approach and implementation of standard templates for its service offerings;
- a multinational corporation in relation to a business systems renewal project, including the procurement of ERP systems and related software and integration services;
- a financial services organization in its privacy, technology and anti-spam diligence in relation to its acquisition of a multinational services organization;
- a multinational energy corporation with respect to a large ERP systems integration project;
- a large financial institution with respect to the purchase and implementation of two critical cloud-based solutions;
- a national engineering services company with respect to a data breach incident;
- a multinational management corporation with respect to a cloud-based financial systems upgrade, including the development of custom functionality;
Shawn obtained his B.A. (major in history) from the University of Victoria in 2011, and received his L.L.B. (with distinction) from Griffith University in 2014.
Shawn was admitted as a lawyer in Queensland in 2015 and was called to the bar in British Columbia in 2019.