Scott W. Bell is a partner in McCarthy Tétrault’s Toronto office in the Business Law Group, specifically the Private Equity, and Pensions, Benefits, & Executive Compensation Groups. His practice involves advising Canadian pension funds and their asset managers on investment structures and related activities, ensuring compliance with each pension fund’s unique governing legislation and applicable Canadian pension legislation.
Scott acts as lead pension investment counsel on domestic and international acquisitions in the areas of private equity, infrastructure and real estate assets, as well as fund investments, platform investments and co-investments.
With a career spanning more than 20 years, Scott has built a stellar reputation for delivering excellent client service and creative solutions to critical pension-related matters in a complex, rapidly changing industry affected by shifts in global markets and regulations.
He has worked closely with Canada’s most respected and leading pension funds investors, including CPPIB, Investment Management Corporation of Ontario, OMERS, OMERS Infrastructure, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, OPTrust and Oxford Properties.
Scott serves on the Board of Directors of Dixon Hall Neighbourhood Services, a city-building agency assisting more than 10,000 Torontonians in need through well-known programs including the Out of the Cold Shelter Program, Meals on Wheels and the Dixon Hall Music School in Regent Park. He is a member of Dixon Hall’s Executive Committee and Chair of its Governance Committee.
Scott has acted as counsel on a number of significant Canadian pension-related matters, including,
- Counsel to Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, as pension investment regulatory counsel, in connection with the formation of Sidewalk Infrastructure Partners LLC, a joint venture with Alphabet Inc., creator of Sidewalk Labs LLC.
- Advised OMERS Infrastructure in its acquisition from Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Estate Assets of an interest, alongside PGGM, Alberta Investment Management Corporation, and British Columbia Investment Management Corporation, in Puget Sound Energy, a Washington state energy utility company.
- Advised Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its C$1.75 billion acquisition of a 49% equity interest in a portfolio of select renewable power assets in North America and Europe from Enbridge Inc., including the establishment of a joint venture partnership, and related ownership and management arrangements.
- Counsel to OMERS Growth Equity as one of the lead investors in the C$158 million Series E financing for TouchBistro Inc., a leading global provider of restaurant technology solutions.
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan in its follow-on investment with RedBird Capital in Compass Datacenters, LLC, to fund in part Compass' acquisition of ROOT Data Center Inc., a leading wholesale data center provider in Montreal, Québec.