With a responsive approach and proven experience advancing M&A strategies and providing practical insights across a variety of industries, clients turn to Scott to successfully complete their transactions
A partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto, Scott’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate finance. His experience advising sponsors, private equity and alternative investment funds, investment banks, and public and private companies ensures clients receive top-notch, well-rounded advice. Scott’s experience spans a number of industries including infrastructure, power, retail and consumer products and energy.
Having advised on numerous successful transactions, clients will benefit from Scott’s experience as evidenced by his role in the following transactions:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- TD Asset Management Infrastructure Investment and IST3 Investment Foundation in the $1.7 billion agreement to acquire up to a 100 per cent of Alberta PowerLine from Canadian Utilities Limited and Quanta Services Inc.
- Brookfield Asset Management in the $4.3 billion acquisition of Enercare Inc. by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
- A consortium of buyers including REEF Technology (formerly ParkJockey), Mubadala Capital and Softbank (through a significant investment in REEF Technology) in the acquisition of Impark from a subsidiary of Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board
- Brookfield Infrastructure and GIC in the US$8.4 billion acquisition of Genesee & Wyoming Inc., a US freight railroad owner and operator
- Cortland Partners, LLC, an Atlanta-based multi-family real estate company, in its US$1.2 billion acquisition of Pure Multi-Family REIT LP
- Rhône Capital, one of the continuing shareholders, in the C$1.11 billion privatisation of Hudson’s Bay Company
- Acuity Brands, Inc. in its acquisition of The Luminaires Group from Sentinel Capital Partners
- EllisDon Capital in its long-term joint venture with Fiera Infrastructure in respect of certain of infrastructure projects in Canada
- Nestlé S.A., the Suisse transnational food and drink company, in its strategic alliance with Starbucks to market Starbucks' consumer and foodservice products globally
- Harbin Pharmaceutical Group Holding Co. Ltd., an affiliate of CITIC Capital (China), in its US$760 million bid to acquire GNC Holdings Inc.
- Magris Resources Canada Inc. in its definitive agreement to acquire substantially all the assets of Imerys Talc America Inc., Imerys Talc Vermont Inc. and Imerys Talc Canada Inc.
- Rhône Capital in its US$500 million equity investment in Hudson’s Bay Company
- Bruce Power in respect of over $1.8 billion worth of private placement offerings of senior notes
Scott received his BSc (with distinction) in Mathematics from the University of Calgary in 2008 and his JD from the University of Victoria in 2011. He is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Law Society of Alberta and the Canadian Bar Association.