Sandra (Aigbinode) Lange is an associate in our Litigation Group in Calgary. She maintains a general corporate commercial litigation and arbitration practice. She has extensive experience appearing before the Provincial Court of Alberta, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, the Provincial Court of Ontario, and the Superior Court of Ontario. She has also appeared as counsel at the Supreme Court of Canada. Sandra is recognized as a “rising star” in dispute resolution and a “recommended lawyer” in the Legal 500 - Canada ranking for year 2020 and year 2021.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Sandra was a Crown Prosecutor with the Alberta Crown Prosecution Service where she regularly attended court and conducted criminal trials and appeals of varying complexities. She also articled with the Crown Attorney’s Office in Ontario, and spent two summers working with the Civil Forfeiture Office of the Attorney General of Ontario.
Sandra is a contributor to the firm’s Class Actions blog and International Arbitration Blog. She is also a supervising lawyer for the Pro Bono Students Canada Dare to Dream Project, which delivers a mock trial program to Siksika First Nation students. She is also a regular volunteer with the Civil Claims Duty Counsel Project, and the Queen’s Bench Amicus Project, which provide pro bono legal advice to unrepresented litigants in the Alberta courts.
Sandra obtained her BCL and LLB from the McGill University Faculty of Law. During law school, she was the Class President for two years, and the Director of the Innocence McGill Legal Clinic. She was also a founding executive member of the McGill Journal of Dispute Resolution. She was the recipient of numerous awards, and was inducted into the McGill Scarlet Key Society. She also completed an exchange program at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark.
Sandra is a committee member for the City of Calgary’s Public Safety Citizen Oversight Committee. She is also a member of the Law Society of Alberta, the Canadian Bar Association, the Calgary Bar Association, the Association of Women Lawyers, the Canadian Association of Black Lawyers and a member-at-large for the Advocates' Society Commercial Litigation Practice Group.
Sandra’s notable experience includes:
- Appellate Law: representing the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Canada) Inc. in International Air Transport Association v Instrubel, N.V., 2019 SCC 61, an appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada concerning the enforcement of international arbitral awards in Canada.
- Arbitration: defending an energy industry related arbitration with an approximately $100 million potential enterprise value to our client. The matter was resolved subsequent to records disclosure such that the significant majority of the value was retained by our client.
- Franchisee-Franchisor Disputes: representing the successful defendant in 1777453 Alberta Ltd v Got Mold Disaster Recovery. Services Inc, 2019 ABQB 259, a case concerning a franchisee’s rescission damages claim.
- Banking and Insurance: defending claims by plaintiffs for coverage related to property damage.
- Criminal Law: R v Fraser, 2017 ABPC 57, 49 Alta. L.R. (6th) 316; R v Shilmar, 2017 ABPC 213, 70 Alta. L.R. (6th) 151.