Ron Mar is a partner in our Tax Group in Calgary. His practise emphasises on the design and use of strategies intended to maximize the income tax efficiency of businesses. He has extensive experience with mergers & acquisitions, divestitures, financings and reorganizations undertaken by public and private entities in the Canadian resource sector. He also regularly advises domestic and international clients on cross border investments, investments by tax exempt entities and the structure of energy ventures.
Ron is a past Governor and executive committee member of the Canadian Tax Foundation. He is also a former Director and Vice President of the Canadian Petroleum Tax Society.
- Conversion of Carlton Trail Limited Partnership into two mutual fund trusts;
- Enerplus Resources Fund's conversion from an income trust to a $5.6 billion TSX and NYSE listed corporation;
- Tax counsel to OMERS Energy Services LP in connection with an acquisition of oil and gas assets and related facilities from Glencoe Resources Ltd.;
- Penn West Energy Trust's asset disposition to and related shale gas joint venture with Mitsubishi Corporation;
- Canoe Financial's acquisition of the EnerVest group of fund management companies;
- $1.6 billion acquisition of Grey Wolf Inc. by Precision Drilling Trust;
- Acquisition and privatization of Thunder Energy Trust by Aston Hill Financial and Infra - PSP Canada;
- Sale by Enerplus Resources Fund of its interest in the Joslyn Oil Sands project to Occidental Petroleum Corporation for US$500 million; and
- $7.6 billion merger of Enerplus Resources Fund and Focus Energy Trust.