With his practical, business-minded approach and strong technical skills, clients consider Robin to be a trusted advisor on all aspects of their business
A partner in the Business Law Group in Vancouver, Robin is recognized as a corporate lawyer with a broad skill set. He advises private and public corporations in a wide range of industries regarding financing activities, mergers and acquisitions, shareholder matters, corporate governance and day-to-day commercial matters.
His holistic approach and collaborative nature ensures a seamless experience for his clients as he pursues their targeted outcome. Robin’s recent M&A experience includes advising Canadian, US and international acquirers and targets in respect of domestic and cross-border merger and acquisition transactions and take-over bids in the hospitality, technology, forestry and paper, mining, financial services, construction and medical services industries. His recent financing experience includes advising issuers and underwriters on cross-border, US and domestic public and private offerings of equity and debt, including initial public offerings and secondary offerings for public companies and private placements and venture financing for private companies.
Some of his recent experience includes:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- advised a consortium including AMCI and Riverstone Energy in connection with its $350 million acquisition of Ridley Terminals Inc. from the Government of Canada
- advised Evolution Mining Ltd. in connection with its US$375 million acquisition of the Red Lake Gold Complex from Newmont Goldcorp
- advised Spectra Energy in connection with the $267 million sale of its natural gas liquids (NGL) business to Plains Midstream Canada
- advised a Vancouver-based private company in connection with the acquisition of multiple renewable energy projects in Western Canada
- advised TimberWest Forest Corporation in connection with its strategic alliance with Island Timberlands
- advised Nurse Next Door in connection with its $52 million trademark royalty deal with Diversified Royalty Corp.
- advised Mr. Mikes Restaurant Corporation in connection with its $43.5 million trademark royalty deal with Diversified Royalty Corp.
- advised Mr. Lube Canada Limited Partnership in connection with its $140 million trademark royalty deal with Diversified Royalty Corp.
- advised the Wesco Group in connection with its acquisition of Color Compass Corporation, an Alberta-based automotive paint, body, and equipment distributor
- advised a Canadian bank in connection with the management buy-out of its mezzanine finance lending and private equity fund management business
- advised BC Biomedical Laboratories in connection with its sale to LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services
- advised BC Ferries in connection with its $250 million senior secured bond financing
- advised Methanex Corporation in connection with its US$700 million offering of senior unsecured notes
- advised Eco Oro Minerals Corp. in connection with the private placement of an aggregate of US$46 million of contingent value rights and a US$6.5 million bridge loan
- advised Pinnacle Renewable Energy in connection with a $50 million secondary offering of common shares
- advised the underwriters in connection with Pinnacle Renewable Energy's $172.5 million IPO
- advised Interfor Corporation in connection with its $66 million dollar bought deal prospectus offering of subscription receipts
- advised the underwriters in connection with Conifex Timber's $75 million dollar bought deal prospectus offering of subscription receipts
- advised Aquinox Pharmaceuticals in connection with its US$46 million IPO
- advised a number of Vancouver-based technology and medical services companies in connection with early stage financings
- advised a Vancouver-based life sciences company in connection with multiple rounds of venture financing
An active member of the community, Robin is a mentor and coordinating partner in the Martin Family Initiative in their Vancouver office. He also participates in firm-led mentorship opportunities. Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, he clerked for Justice Frank Iacobucci at the Supreme Court of Canada and was an associate with Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, one of New York’s leading international law firms.
Robin obtained his BA from the University of British Columbia in 1997 and his LLB from the University of Toronto in 2002. He was called to the New York bar in 2004 and the British Columbia bar in 2006.
Leading Lawyer: Corporate/Commercial - British Columbia
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Rising Star: M&A, Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences, Technology & Telecommunications
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Commercial Law; Corporate Finance & Securities; Corporate Mid-Market; Mergers & Acquisitions; and Private Equity
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A
The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Commercial Law
The Best Lawyers in Canada
"Lawyer of the Year" in the area of mergers & acquisitions law
The Best Lawyers in Canada
A leading lawyer in the areas of securities law and mergers and acquisitions law