Bob is a creative and solutions-oriented securities and public M&A lawyer
Robert (Bob) Richardson is a partner in our mergers and acquisitions (M&A), capital markets and financial services groups in Toronto. In addition, Bob leads our firm-wide multidisciplinary ESG team. A seasoned securities lawyer and former senior banking executive, Bob seeks to achieve clients' business objectives in a way that appropriately balances risks and rewards.
Bob rejoined our firm in 2018, after spending more than 17 years with Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and CIBC World Markets Inc. At CIBC, he managed the legal aspects of almost all of CIBC's strategic transactions globally and lead a talented team of about a hundred business lawyers, litigators, derivatives lawyers and other legal professionals. While at CIBC, Bob served on the Board of Directors of CIBC World Markets, CIBC’s principal investment banking subsidiary, and was a member of most of CIBC's key governance and deals committees, including Capital Markets Executive Committee, Fairness Opinions Committee, Due Diligence Committee, Investment Committee and Reputation and Legal Risks Committee. In addition, for a protracted period, he worked closely with CIBC’s former Chief Executive Officer in successfully navigating the acute challenges posed by the Global Financial Crisis.
Since returning to our firm in 2018, Bob’s private practice experience has included:
- Representing Brookfield Infrastructure Partners in its successful unsolicited and contested $8.6 billion takeover bid for Inter Pipeline Ltd.
- Representing HPS Investment Partners in connection with the $2.2 billion acquisition of Great Canadian Gaming Corporation by plan of arrangement
- Representing Antarctica Capital in connection with its successful stalking horse bid for UrtheCast Corp. pursuant to the Companies Creditors Arrangement Act
- Representing Brookfield Infrastructure Partners in its $4.3 billion acquisition of Enercare Inc.
- Advising a special committee of CannTrust Holdings’ board of directors in investigating allegations of fraud and assisting the special committee in designing and executing on its remediation mandate
- Representing Stifel Financial in its cross-border acquisition of the capital markets business of GMP Capital Inc.
In addition, Bob frequently represents leading investment banks and special committees regarding complex or contested transactions, including:
- Representing Greenhill & Co. in its capacity as exclusive financial advisor to Canopy Growth Corporation in connection with Constellation Brands' $5.1 billion strategic equity investment
- Representing Scotia Capital in its capacity as:
- exclusive financial advisor to Aphria Inc. in responding to an unsolicited takeover bid by Green Growth Brands
- Representing Greenhill & Co. in its capacity as exclusive financial advisor to Canopy Growth Corporation in connection with Canopy's acquisition of an option to acquire Acreage Holdings for US$3.4 billion
- Representing CIBC World Markets in its capacity as exclusive financial advisor to TransAlta Corp. in connection with Brookfield Renewables' $750 million strategic investment, the related public opposition by Mangrove Partners and the subsequent civil litigation
- Representing Greenhill & Co. in its capacity as financial advisor to Abacus Health Products Inc. in connection with Abacus’s share exchange acquisition by Charlotte’s Web Holdings
- Representing Scotia Capital Inc. in its capacity as financial advisor to a special committee of Genworth MI Canada Inc. in connection with Brookfield Business Partners’ going-private transaction for Genworth
- Representing William Blair & Co., LLC in its capacity as financial advisor to the board of directors of People Corporation in connection with People’s acquisition by certain funds managed by Goldman Sachs for $1.1 billion
- Representing BMO Capital Markets in its capacity as financial advisor to a special committee of Transat A.T. Inc. in connection with Air Canada’s offer to acquire Transat A.T. Inc.
While at CIBC, Bob was involved in various domestic and cross-border transactions, including:
- CIBC’s $6.8 billion cross-border share exchange acquisition of Chicago-based PrivateBancorp, Inc., a Nasdaq-listed commercial and retail bank
- CIBC’s sale of its U.S. investment banking and leveraged finance business at the onset of the Global Financial Crisis
- CIBC’s participation in $32 billion restructuring of Canada’s third party asset backed commercial paper (ABCP) market, which remains the largest insolvency restructuring in Canadian history
- CIBC’s acquisition of Barclays’ retail and business banking operations in the Caribbean and the formation of CIBC FirstCarribean Bank, which carries on business in 17 countriesCIBC’s participation in Maple Acquisition Corporation, which was formed by a consortium of 13 of Canada’s largest financial institutions to acquire TMX Group Inc. for $3.3 billion.
- Countless bought deals, IPOs, take-over bids, mergers and divestitures involving CIBC World Markets as an underwriter or financial advisor, during a lengthy period when CIBC consistently led both the M&A and financing league tables for Canada
Bob is an adjunct professor at Osgoode Hall Law School and Western University Faculty of Law, where he teaches the Corporate Finance courses. He is a member of the Veterans Mental Health Advisory Committee at the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine and has served on the Canada Committee of RefuSHE, a Chicago-based NGO that provides sanctuary, schooling, vocational training and outplacement to young women and children in Africa. In addition, while completing his undergraduate studies, Bob completed the Canadian Army’s RESO Armour Officer training program and is a retired Captain with the Primary Reserve and a proud recipient of the Canadian Forces decoration (CD) and the Canadian 125th Anniversary Medal.
Bob is a graduate of Trent University (BA), Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B and LL.M) and the Canadian Army’s RESO Armour Program. He was called to the Ontario Bar in 1993.
The Legal 500 – Canada
Recommended: Corporate and M&A
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Top 500 Lawyers in Canada
Top 40 under 40
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A
Canadian General Counsel Awards
Finalist, Deal Making