Robert Nearing is a partner in the firm’s Tax Group in Calgary. His practice focuses primarily on the tax aspects of innovative financing structures, mergers, acquisitions, private equity transactions and complicated reorganizations, including complex cross-border transactions and intra-group restructuring. He also advises on the structuring of derivative instruments, transfer pricing matters and disputes with domestic and international tax authorities.
In 2013, he was named among Lexpert magazine's Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40.
Robert is a member of the CBA/CPA Joint Committee on Taxation, The Canadian Bar Association (Tax Law Section), the Canadian Tax Foundation and the International Fiscal Association.
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- 2016 BEPS Symposium: A Canadian Perspective
- 2015 IFA International Tax Conference
- Co-author of Carswell’s Canada Tax Service Foreign Affiliates Guide.
- Presented on the anti-treaty shopping proposal to the Tax Executive Institute.
- Presented at the “Current Cases” plenary session of the 64th Annual Tax Conference hosted by the Canadian Tax Foundation.
- Presented on outbound investment and foreign exchange issues to the Canadian Electricity Association.
- Presented on income fund conversions to corporations at the 2009 Canadian Petroleum Tax Society Annual Conference and presented a workshop at the 2008 Canadian Tax Foundation Annual Conference titled “Acquisition Structures for Tax Exempt Entities”.
- Presented on foreign affiliate reorganizations to the Canadian Petroleum Tax Society, as well as other seminars hosted by the Tax Executive Institute, the Canadian Bar Association and the Pacific Business and Law Institute.
- Published in the Canadian Petroleum Tax Journal, Canadian Tax Highlights, Tax Litigation and Lexpert.