Providing practical, business-minded advice, Richard is sought after for his innovative solutions on complex projects and transactions.
Richard is a partner in the Banking & Financial Services and Projects groups in Montréal. Recognized for his extensive knowledge and comprehensive, solutions-oriented approach, his practice is focused on corporate and regulatory matters, particularly in the energy, mining, infrastructure, technology and agribusiness sectors.
Richard works with a broad range of clients from different industry groups and regularly advises banks, insurance companies, pension funds and other financial institutions, in addition to borrowers working to develop and finance projects in the energy, natural resource and infrastructure sectors. Clients appreciate his commitment to understanding their business, his attentiveness, and his ability to leverage his industry knowledge to deliver strategic advice and creative solutions.
Richard’s recent retainers include:
- acting as legal counsel for corporate and private equity clients as well as lending syndicates in Canadian, U.S. and international acquisition financings and projects across a wide range of industry segments, including manufacturing, agribusiness, technology and senior housing;
- acting as legal counsel for a number of lending syndicates in the clean technology, transportation and logistics, telecommunications, engineering, agribusiness and retail sectors;
- acting as legal counsel for operators, utilities and lenders in the energy field across Canada (as well as abroad) in connection with various renewable energy and other financing projects;
- acting as legal counsel for authorities, as well as equity and lending syndicates for partnership arrangements and financings in the logistics sector, in particular with port and airport authorities;
- acting as legal counsel for proponents and lenders in various public-private partnership projects;
- acting as legal counsel for Investissement Québec in the financing and refinancing of the Stornoway Renard Diamond mining project and of the Tata Steel Minerals mining project as well as with mining companies and lenders in connection with other mining projects.
A member of the firm’s Professional Resources Committee, Richard participates in mentorship opportunities and is recognized for his ability to serve as a sounding board for a range of issues. Additionally, he is actively involved with the Marie‑Vincent Foundation in Montréal.
Richard obtained his integrated bachelor’s degree in civil law and common law (B.C.L./LL.B.) from McGill University in 1998. He also studied at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia.
IFLR1000 Canada Awards
Lawyer of the Year: Banking and Finance
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Rising Star: Project Finance, Capital Markets, Capital Markets: Structured Finance and Securitization
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Asset-Based Lending, Asset Securitization, Banking & Financial Institutions, Energy (Electricity), Infrastructure Law, Project Finance
The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure
Lexpert Special Edition: Agribusiness and Cannabis
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy
Best Lawyers in Canada
Lawyer of the Year: Banking and Finance Law (Montréal)