Ranjeev brings expertise and relationships within the cannabis industry, capitalizing on opportunities for clients with speed and a deep understanding of business objectives
Ranjeev Dhillon is a partner and co-lead of the firm’s national Cannabis Law Group. A recognized leader known for his pragmatism, business knowledge and industry expertise, Ranjeev helps clients successfully navigate the evolving demands of the high-growth cannabis market in Canada and abroad. As the legalized cannabis space continues to transform, Ranjeev is at the forefront of the industry, helping innovative companies and entrepreneurs manage significant market potential while minimizing risk.
He advises clients public, private, domestic and international clients on a broad range of corporate and commercial matters, including debt and equity financings, private equity and venture capital transactions, joint ventures, M&A, corporate governance, shareholder arrangements, corporate reorganizations and go‑public transactions.
Whether strategically guiding clients through M&A, or helping emerging start-ups secure investments, Ranjeev successfully advises clients across all jurisdictions and areas of the cannabis supply production chain.
From advising on commercial and transactional matters to providing regulatory counsel, clients include Canadian and international companies, preeminent cultivators, patient outreach platforms, clinics, industry consultants, marketing and branding firms, asset managers and private equity funds as well as not-for-profit organizations.
Regarded as a market leader and ranked Band 1 Cannabis lawyer in Chambers Canada, Ranjeev has played an integral role in numerous high-profile mandates, including:
- Auxly Cannabis Group Inc. in connection with the acquisition of RockGarden Medicinals (2014) Inc.
- Auxly Cannabis Group Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Robinson's Cannabis Incorporated
- VIVO Cannabis Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Canna Farms Limited
- Pyxus International, Inc. in connection with the purchase of various cannabis related entities in Canada, including Canada’s Island Garden Inc. and various commercial matters
- GrowForce Holdings Inc. in connection with its acquisition of WILL Cannabis Group and various commercial matters
- CanvasRx Inc. in connection with the sale of all of its shares to Aurora Cannabis Inc.
- Daddy Cann Lesotho PTY Ltd. In connection with sale of its shares to Canopy Growth Corporation
- Honest Inc., dba Province Brands of Canada, with respect to its reverse takeover under the rules and policies of the TSX-V
- Dixie Brands, Inc. with respect to its reverse takeover under the rules and policies of the CSE and its related $25.0 million private placement
- Canopy Growth Corporation in its strategic partnership with AussCann Group Holdings Ltd., a leading Australian medical cannabis company
With deep sector knowledge, Ranjeev is a sought-after expert in the cannabis industry, regularly speaking to academic institutions and at industry events, advising on business and legal considerations facing clients.
Ranjeev holds a Bachelor of Science from the University of Toronto, 2002 and obtained his LLB from Queens University, 2006. He was called to the Ontario bar in 2007.
Band 1: Cannabis Law - Nationwide Canada
Cannabis Law Report
Global Top 200 Cannabis Lawyer
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Mid-Market
Lexpert Special Edition: Agribusiness and Cannabis
The Legal 500 – Canada
Leading Lawyer: Cannabis
The Legal 500 – Canada
Recommended: Corporate and M&A
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Cannabis Law