Ranjeev brings creativity and expertise to capitalize on opportunities for clients with speed and a deep understanding of business objectives
Ranjeev Dhillon is a partner that advises a diverse range of clients in a range of industries, including tech, healthcare, retail and manufacturing. He is also a leading expert in cannabis law, having advised on some of the most high-profile transactions in the sector, and is the co-lead of the firm’s national Cannabis Law Group.
He advises public, private, domestic and international clients on a broad range of corporate and commercial matters, including M&A, debt and equity financings, private equity and venture capital transactions, joint ventures, corporate governance, shareholder arrangements, corporate reorganizations, go‑public transactions and distressed transactions.
Whether strategically guiding clients through M&A, or helping emerging start-ups secure investments, Ranjeev successfully advises clients across jurisdictions to achieve clients’ business objectives in a way that appropriately balances risks and rewards.
Regarded as a market leader and has played an integral role in numerous high-profile mandates, including:
Mergers & Acquisitions:
- KeyData Associates Inc., a cybersecurity company, in connection with the sale of its issued and outstanding shares to an entity controlled by CIVC Partners, L.P.
- QuIC Financial Technologies Inc., in its acquisition by Markit Group (Canada) Limited, a company by Markit Group Holdings Limited, for an undisclosed amount
- Olam International Limited, in the acquisition of Canadian cocoa assets of Archer Daniels Midland Co.
- CPP Investment Board, in the acquisition by Brookfield Office Properties Canada of a 25% interest in nine Canadian office properties from Brookfield Office Properties Inc., with CPPIB being a co-owner of the nine properties
- Cardinal Health in connection with the acquisition of Medtronic's medical supply businesses for USD$6.1 billion
- Can Art Aluminum Extrusion Inc., in a disposition of its assets to TorQuest Partners
- VenGrowth Funds, in the transaction by which Covington Fund II acquired the assets of New Generation Biotech (Equity) Fund and The VenGrowth Investment Fund Inc., The VenGrowth II Investment Fund Inc., The VenGrowth III Investment Fund Inc., The VenGrowth Advanced Life Sciences Fund Inc. and the VenGrowth Traditional Industries Fund Inc, for C$360 million
- Big Tree Capital Partners LLC in connection with its acquisition of a private US-based software company
- One Equity Partners and Systagenix Wound Management, as Canadian counsel, in the purchase of Ethicon, Inc.’s (a Johnson & Johnson company), Professional Wound Care business
- Windley Ely Inc., in its acquisition of a private claims management business
- Certain shareholders of SkyPower Limited, in Canadian Solar Inc.'s $185-million purchase of a majority interest in SkyPower Limited and related joint venture and commercial arrangements
- Intrafinity Inc., doing business as SharpSchool, in the acquisition of substantially all of its assets by West Corporation
- RuggedCom Inc., in an asset purchase transaction
- G4S Secure Solutions (Canada) Ltd. in a connection with various acquisitions
- Blue Ant Media Inc., in its acquisition of Canadian broadcaster High Fidelity HDTV and its four premium definition channels
- Blue Ant Media Inc., in its acquisition of Canadian broadcaster GlassBOX Television Inc. and the Travel+Escape, Bite TV and Aux TV specialty channels
- SNDL Inc. in connection with its C$138 million acquisition of The Valens Company Inc.
- SNDL Inc. in connection with its C$346 million acquisition of Alcanna Inc.
- SNDL Inc. in connection with its C$131 million acquisition of Inner Spirit Holdings Ltd.
- Trellis Solutions Inc., a cannabis technology company, in connection with the sale of the corporation to Akerna Corp., a Nasdaq listed public company
- Auxly Cannabis Group Inc. in connection with the acquisition of various entities and assets
- VIVO Cannabis Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Canna Farms Limited
- Pyxus International, Inc. in connection with the purchase of various cannabis related entities in Canada
- Shareholders of WILL Cannabis Group in connection with its sale to GrowForce Holdings Inc.
- GrowForce Holdings, Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Grand River Organics Incorporated
- CanvasRx Inc. in connection with the sale of all of its shares to Aurora Cannabis Inc.
- Daddy Cann Lesotho PTY Ltd. in connection with sale of its shares to Canopy Growth Corporation
- Poseidon Investment Management, in its participation in C15 Solutions Inc.’s Series A financing
- A confidential US investment fund in its participation in a Series B financing of a Canadian cannabis technology company
- Trellis Solutions Inc. in connection with a financing led by Casa Verde Capital
- Lift Co. Ltd. in connection with its Series A funding, being the largest round of funding for any Canadian cannabis technology company at the time of the financing
- Amazon.com, in its participation in the $35-million investment in ecobee Inc.
- Leaders Fund Inc. and Export Development Canada, jointly as investors, in 360Incentives.com Inc.’s $20-million Series B financing
- OMERS Ventures, in its participation in the $80-million investment in Desire2Learn
- Bessemer Venture Partners, as Canadian counsel, in its venture investment in Shopify
- OMERS Ventures LP, in its participation in the $10-million Series B funding round of InteraXon
- OMERS Ventures LP, in its participation in in the $12 million funding round of Hopper Inc.
- Vemba Corporation in its Series A financing with Upfront Ventures and Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments
- Information Venture Partners, in PostBeyond Inc.’s $4.0 million Series A financing
- BEST Funds in connections with numerous equity financings
- Blue Ant Media Inc., in an equity financing by Torstar Corporation
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) and Bank of Montreal (BMO) in connection with a C$65 million secured non-revolving term loan facility to Cronos Group Inc.
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) and ATB Financial in connection with a C$40 million secured credit facility
- Wells Fargo and Wachovia in cross-border asset-based transactions
- BEST Funds in connection with numerous debt financings
- Dixie Brands, Inc. with respect to its reverse takeover under the rules and policies of the CSE and its related $25.0 million private placement
- Auxly Cannabis Group in connection with the C$123 million strategic investment by Imperial Brands plc into Auxly
- SNDL Inc. in connection with its shelf prospectus offering for aggregate gross proceeds of up to US$400 million
- SNDL Inc. in connection with its C$22 million strategic investment in Indiva Limited
- The special committee of Phoena Holdings Inc. in connection with its internal investigation into certain alleged violations of its Health Canada licenses and ongoing strategic review
- TigerTel Communications Inc., and an independent directors’ committee of the board, in a going-private transactions by its controlling shareholder
- Corel and an independent directors’ committee of the board, in a US tender offer by controlling shareholder Vector Capital
- Independent Committee of Public Storage Canadian Properties Limited Partnership, in a going private transaction
- Various internal consumer packaged good companies with confidential product innovation strategies and regulatory and commercial matters
- Various technology companies with respect to master services agreements
- Various licensing agreements
- SNDL Inc. in connection with the formation of a 50/50 joint venture, with SAF Opportunities LP, through a new corporation, SunStream Bancorp Inc., and its C$538 million commitment and ongoing investments in connection therewith
- Truss Beverage Co. in connection with various white label arrangements and regulatory matters
Ranjeev is a sought-after speaker, regularly speaking to the media, both in print and on television, academic institutions and at industry events, advising on business and legal considerations facing clients with a focus on tech and cannabis law related matters.
Ranjeev holds a Bachelor of Science from the University of Toronto, 2002 and obtained his LLB from Queens University, 2006. He was called to the Ontario bar in 2007. He is an adjunct professor of at Western University’s Faculty of Law, where he has taught various classes.
Band 1: Cannabis Law
Attorney of the Year
Cannabis Law Report
Global Top 200 Cannabis Lawyer
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Mid-Market; Corporate Mid-Market
Lexpert Special Edition: Agribusiness and Cannabis
The Legal 500 – Canada
Hall of Fame: Cannabis
The Legal 500 – Canada
Recommended: Corporate and M&A
LMG Life Sciences
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Cannabis Law
LMG Life Sciences