A widely-recognized lawyer and natural leader, clients rely on Pierre for his seamless service and ability to navigate complex strategies
As National leader of our Africa Group, Quebec Leader of the Global Metals & Mining Group, counsel in the firm’s Business Law Group and former Managing Partner of the firm’s Quebec City office, clients benefit from Pierre’s versatility and leadership. With a diversified practice focused on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and related commercial matters, Pierre’s knowledge expands across several industries, most notably mining, oil and gas and energy on both a domestic and international scale, notably in sub-Saharan Africa.
Clients view Pierre as a trusted advisor and he is known for his ability to form relationships with many significant players at all levels of government within the African nations, most notably sub-Saharan Africa. His strong presence in Africa is evidenced by his impressive client base throughout the continent. For example, Pierre has recently assisted clients in the Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Guinea, Morocco and Niger.
Pierre’s wide-range of experience is evidenced by his representation notably of:
- Desjardins Securities as part of the financing of Aya Gold and Silver for a project in Morocco,
- Endeavour Mining in the context of negotiations of their mining titles with the Government of Senegal,
- Resource Capital Funds in relation to the debt financing of the construction of Orezone Gold Corporation’s gold mine in Burkina Faso;
- Teranga Gold in their acquisition from Rangold of the Massawa gold project in Senegal and negotiations with the government of Senegal representatives;
- IamGold with regard to mining convention negotiations in Senegal;
- Resource Capital Funds with regard to its acquisition of a minority participation in Orezone Gold Corporation in Burkina Faso;
- Utica Resources involved in various oil and gas transactions in the Province of Quebec;
- SRG Graphite with regard to mining projects in Guinea;
- Sama Resources Inc. with regard to a transaction with HPX-TechCo Inc. regarding a nickel mining project in the Ivory Coast;
- Teranga Gold in the acquisition of Gryphon Minerals Limited, a company involved in the mining sector in Burkina Faso;
- the Government of Madagascar with regard to the negotiation of hydro-electric projects under the direction of the African Legal Support Facility of the African Development Bank;
- Endeavour Mining regarding a gold project in Mali;
- Windiga Energy Inc., a company involved in the renewable energy sector in Africa;
- Teranga Gold in a negotiation of an overall agreement with the Government of Senegal regarding the Sabodala gold production project;
- Hydrocarbure Anticosti regarding an oil and gas project on Anticosti Island;
- RoxGold Inc. regarding a gold mine project in Burkina Faso;
- Managem, a Moroccan company involved in the mining sector, on different projects in Africa, notably in Guinea;
- GoviEx Uranium regarding a uranium mine project in Niger;
- several clients who are conducting oil and gas exploration activities in the Province of Quebec, as well as counsel to the Québec Oil and Gas Association;
- several clients involved in the mining industry including SOQUEM Inc, a subsidiary of the Investissement Québec, which operates in the mining sector;
- Gaz Métropolitain Inc. principal distributor of natural gas in the Province of Quebec, in the implementation of a $1-billion LNG receiving terminal project in Lévis, in partnership with Enbridge Inc. and Gaz de France within the Rabaska Partnership;
In addition to his legal practice, Pierre’s involvement includes various boards such as Export Development Canada (EDC), Development Finance Institute Canada Inc. (FinDev Canada), NSIA Participations (Ivory Coast) as a nominee of the National Bank of Canada, CPCS Transcom and Kobo Resources. He is also on the Senior Advisory Board of the Canada Africa Chamber. He is a graduate of the Canadian Institute of Directors.
Pierre has acted as moderator or speaker in numerous conferences in the fields of mining, oil and gas and energy, notably, he is a co-founder and has been acting for almost ten years as a speaker\moderator at the Franco-Mine Conference in Cape Town (Mining Indaba) and in Toronto (PDAC).
Pierre has been repeatedly recognized over the years as a leading Canadian lawyer in various fields and publications such as Who’s Who Legal Canada in the mining sector (Global Leader),Best Lawyers in Canada in Energy Regulatory Law, in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the mining, energy (electricity), oil and gas and corporate mid-market sectors, as well as in the Lexpert Special Editions of Leading Canadian Lawyers in various fields such as Global Mining, Cross-Border Corporate and Energy. Acritas Stars has recognized him as a standout lawyer and APL Energies has named him Personality of the year in 2019, a career achievement award in the energy sector. He is also the only Canadian lawyer listed in Chambers Global Guide as a Leading Lawyer in the area of Mining, International & Cross-Border, Africa-wide.
Africa Projects Map
McCarthy Tétrault lawyers have acted on many varied and complex transactions and projects across Africa. With a focus on Energy, Mining and Infrastructure, our clients look to us for our top-tier expertise. Please see below for a representative sample of our experience in Africa.
Foreign Expert: Mining (International & Cross-Border) - Africa
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Mid-Market, Energy (Electricity and Oil & Gas); Mining; and Corporate Commercial Law
Lexpert Special Edition: Mining
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy
The Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer – Energy Regulatory