Philippe Fortier is a partner in our Business Law Group in Montréal. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate finance, and general corporate and commercial transactions. Philippe acts for both public and private clients. He has lead and participated in various types of transactions and has extensive experience in the purchase and sale of companies and joint ventures.
Philippe received his LLB from the Université Laval in 2000. He articled at the firm and was called to the Québec bar in 2002.
Philippe plays a leading role with various important and key clients of the firm. Recent select experience includes acting for:
- Nemaska Lithium in the C$99 million private placement of subscription receipts with SoftBank Group to fund the Whaboushi lithium mine and Shawinigan electrochemichal plant;
- Enbridge in connection with various corporate transactions, acquisitions and joint ventures, including its recent 2016 acquisition in France from EDF EN of a 50% interest in Éolien Maritime France SAS and related joint venture arrangements pursuant to which Enbridge and EDF EN will co-develop one of the largest offshore wind portfolio consisting of three projects off the coast of France with a combined installed capacity of 1, 425 MWs;
- Innergex Renewable Energy in connection with its $1.1 billion acquisition of Alterra Power Corp.;
- Clearspring Capital Partners in connection with its equity investment in Telecon along with institutional investors and Telecon’s management;
- Hatley Holdings and its shareholders in connection with an investment by the Fonds de solidarité FTQ;
- Kruger Inc. in connection with its $377 million project to diversify operations at its Brompton Mill and Wayagamack Mills into speciality niches in a joint venture with Investissement Québec;
- Champion Iron Mines in connection with its acquisition of the Bloom Lake Mine and a series of financing arrangements totalling $300 million;
- Molson Coors Brewing Company in connection with various transactions, corporate and public company matters, including in connection with its most recently announced $12 billion acquisition of the remaining joint venture interest in the MillerCoors joint venture and rights to the Miller brands, various debt and equity financings, the sale of its interest in the Montreal Canadians to the Molson family and the sale of its interest in the Modelo joint venture in Canada;
- Various initial public offerings, including acting for the issuer on the Innergex Renewable Energy Inc. IPO, the Innergex Power Income Fund IPO and the Colabor IPO and acting for the dealers on the Davids Tea IPO, the Enerkem proposed IPO and the Mecachrome IPO;
- Kruger Inc. in connection with various transactions and ongoing matters, including Investissement Québec’s $190 million investment ($84 million and $106 million equity participation) to convert the No 10 newsprint machine in Trois-Rivières to manufacture 100% recycled lightweight liner board. The investment was made in a new entity which combined the assets of Kruger’s Container board and packaging activities with assets in excess of $600 million;
- Various complex local and cross border reorganisations for clients;
- Various local and international companies in connection with ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading lawyer in the areas of Corporate Mid-Market, Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions, Mining and Energy
Lexpert special edition Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers
Leading lawyer in Energy
Lexpert® Rising Stars
Leading Lawyer Under 40