Known for his strong negotiating skills and solutions-oriented approach, Philip brings clarity to complex cross-border transactions.
Philip Marcu is a partner in McCarthy Tétrault’s Business Law Group in Toronto. His practice focuses on all aspects of cross-border public and private M&A transactions, joint ventures, venture capital, corporate reorganizations and corporate governance. Philip helps Canadian and international companies identify and pursue strategic growth opportunities in domestic and foreign markets.
A skilled negotiator focused on getting deals done, Philip has advised on transformational transactions across a number of industries that shape the global economy. He has represented clients operating in the technology, Fintech, financial services, infrastructure and health care sectors. His industry focus across multiple jurisdictions gives him the unique insights needed to understand changing sector dynamics and to provide creative solutions to clients’ most complex matters.
Clients across the globe appreciate that Philip approaches his practice through the lens of their business interests. He spent time in-house at a major Fintech company and a large bank in the U.K. and this unique, client-side perspective allows him to deliver practical advice for clients with an understanding of their internal realities.
Philip’s experience includes transactions in a range of industries, including representing:
- A leading technology company on its strategic acquisitions in the U.K., Finland and the Netherlands
- Revolut on its fundraising rounds and structuring
- Vodafone on the creation of a joint venture company in Greece holding infrastructure assets
- Sandoz AG on the strategic acquisition of a Japanese pharmaceutical business
- Novartis on the sale of its vaccines business to GlaxoSmithKline involving the acquisition of GSK’s oncology division and the creation of a joint venture involving the combination of Novartis’ over-the-counter business with GSK’s consumer healthcare business
- The purchaser on its acquisition of a global payment service company
- A U.K. challenger bank on an investment by a private equity fund, including related structuring considerations and interactions with a U.K. regulator
- An international pharmaceutical company on its corporate and regulatory filings, governance and reorganizations in respect of company entities in the U.K.
- Citigroup and J.P. Morgan Cazenove, as joint global coordinators, on the £1.2 billion initial public offering and listing on the London Stock Exchange of Moonpig Group plc
Philip is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales and is practising as a Foreign Legal Consultant pending his call to the Law Society of Ontario.
Philip earned a B.A. in Political Science from McGill University in 2007. He obtained his LLB Honours from the University of Nottingham in 2010, and he was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2014.