Patrick brings a pragmatic and efficient approach to high-stakes litigation. His focus on the big picture guides clients through their most complicated disputes.
Patrick Williams is a partner in our Litigation Group in Vancouver. Patrick represents leading Canadian and multinational companies in complex commercial litigation, including arbitrations, class actions, and regulatory proceedings. He focuses on contract disputes and product liability claims. Patrick also practices administrative and public law and represents clients in disputes involving federal, provincial, and municipal governments and authorities.
Patrick represents clients in diverse industries, including the consumer product, energy, mining, real estate, technology, and transportation industries. Patrick has appeared in the Supreme Court of Canada, all levels of court in British Columbia, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Federal Court, domestic and international commercial arbitrations, and before administrative tribunals.
- acted for claimants and respondents in domestic and international arbitrations related to real estate development, mineral royalties, energy contracts, and shareholder disputes;
- defended leading tobacco and pharmaceutical companies in health care cost recovery claims by provincial governments;
- defended a leading railway company in litigation related to forest fires, including a class action and administrative proceedings;
- defended a variety of automotive companies in product liability matters, including class actions;
- acted for a class of First Nations across Canada in litigation against the Canadian government related to clean drinking water that resulted in an $8 billion settlement;
- defended global online platforms in a class actions about the display of prices;
- acted for a leading ridesharing company in litigation related to the initial regulation of ridesharing in British Columbia; and
- acted for a multinational engineering firm in the litigation arising from the breach of the Mount Polley Tailings Storage Facility.
Patrick is a contributing author to the fifth edition of Defending Class Actions in Canada, published by LexisNexis, and National Co-Editor of the firm’s Canadian Class Actions Monitor blog.
Patrick also represents individuals and non-profit organizations on a variety of matters in his pro bono practice. He acted for the successful appellant, a person with disabilities, in S.A. v. Metro Vancouver Housing Corp., 2019 SCC 4, the leading Canadian case on discretionary trusts.
Patrick received his BCom (Hons) and JD from the University of British Columbia. Before joining the firm, he clerked for Chief Justice Bauman at the Court of Appeal for British Columbia.
The Legal 500 - Canada
Rising Star: Dispute Resolution - British Columbia
Best Lawyers in Canada
Ones to Watch: Administrative and Public Law; Corporate and Commercial Litigation
Best Lawyers in Canada
Ones to Watch: Class Action Litigation