Patrick Deutscher is a partner in our Business Law Group in Vancouver, with a growing practice focused on domestic and international transactions in the mining space.
Patrick has extensive experience negotiating metal stream and royalty financing transactions and advising clients on asset and share purchase transactions and mining joint ventures.
Some of Patrick’s recent representative work includes:
- Counsel to Zijin Mining Group on its US$360 million acquisition of the Rosebel mine in Suriname from IAMGOLD
- Counsel to Wheaton Precious Metals on various metal stream transactions (total value exceeding US$1.5 billion), including with Sabina Gold and Silver (Goose Project in Nunavut), Generation Mining (Marathon Project in Ontario), Artemis Gold (Blackwater Project in British Columbia), Adventus Mining (Curipamba Project in Ecuador), Capstone (SDM in Chile; Cozamin in Mexico) and Aris Gold (Marmato in Colombia)
- Counsel to Northern Dynasty on its US$60 million royalty financing with respect to the Pebble Project in Alaska
- Advising Electric Royalties on its approximately US$20 million (aggregate) acquisition of various battery metal royalties on projects in North America, Europe and Australia
- Advising Taseko Mines on various transactions including its US$400 million senior secured notes, US$50 million super-senior revolving credit facility with National Bank and US$39 million silver stream transaction with Osisko Gold Royalties
- Advising Newcrest Mining on its US$460 million acquisition of a gold prepay, stream facility and offtake agreement from Orion and Blackstone with respect to Lundin Gold’s Fruta del Norte mine in Ecuador
- Counsel to Calibre Mining Corp. on its US$100 million acquisition of Nicaraguan assets from B2Gold Corp.
- Counsel to Vale on its US$690 million cobalt streaming transaction with Wheaton Precious Metals and Cobalt 27
- Counsel to Glencore on its establishment of the 50/50 BaseCore royalty and streaming joint venture with Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and the transfer to BaseCore of Glencore’s $300 million base metals royalty portfolio
- Counsel to Newmont (formerly Goldcorp) on its acquisition of a 50% interest in the Cerro Casale project from Kinross and Barrick and the formation of a 50/50 joint venture with Barrick over the Cerro Casale, Quebrada Seca and Caspiche projects in Chile’s Maricunga district
- Counsel to Milpo in its US$250 million silver stream transaction with respect to the Cerro Lindo mine in Peru with Triple Flag
- Counsel to Newmont (formerly Goldcorp) on the formation of the $3.5billion Corridor joint venture with Teck Resources in relation to their respective El Morro and Relincho projects in Chile, including the concurrent acquisition by Goldcorp of New Gold’s 30% interest in the El Morro project for US$90 million and a 4% gold stream on future gold production
Patrick received his BSc, with great distinction, from the University of Saskatchewan in 2003 and his JD from the University of British Columbia in 2011. He was called to the British Columbia bar in 2012 and is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Law Society of British Columbia.