With an innovative approach and strong record of success, Patrick is recognized as a leader in sophisticated securities, mergers & acquisitions and corporate law matters.
Patrick is a partner in the Business Law Group in Montréal and co-head of the firm's National Capital Markets Practice. Known for his business acumen and ability to provide practical solutions to complex issues, Patrick’s practice is primarily focused in the areas of securities, capital markets, public and private mergers & acquisitions and corporate law, with a concentration on private equity, pension funds and financial institutions.
Patrick has acted as counsel to issuers and underwriters in various public offerings (including initial public offerings) and private placements of publicly listed issuers. He has also participated in numerous take-over bids and going-private transactions of publicly listed issuers, and has acted as counsel to independent committees in connection with various transactions. Patrick’s deep understanding of current market conditions and commitment to understanding our clients’ business allows him to provide a tailored approach to best manage risk and maximize outcome.
Viewed by clients as being eminently practical and valued for his availability and responsiveness, Patrick has played a key role in significant M&A transactions involving public and private companies, including many cross-border transactions. Some of his recent work includes:
- Noverco Inc. in the C$1.12 billion acquisition of all of Valener Inc.'s issued and outstanding common shares and all of Valener's issued and outstanding Cumulative Rate Reset Preferred Shares;
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) in its agreement with Alstom to convert its current investment in Bombardier Transportation into shares of Alstom;
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) in its acquisition of holdings of Cirque du Soleil from founder, Guy Laliberté;
- The dealers in Canada in Garda World Security Corporation’s US$125 million private offering of 8.75% senior notes;
- National Bank of Canada in various offerings of 5-year reset first preferred shares;
- National Bank of Canada in its US$1.25 billion medium term notes financing in the United States;
- National Bank of Canada in its US$8 billion Euro Note Program and underlying supplements;
- National Bank of Canada in its $750 million offering of 3.183% Medium Term Notes;
- National Bank of Canada in its US$150 million debt issuance and first of its kind blockchain simulation;
- National Bank of Canada in the redemption of Trust Capital Securities – Series 1 by NBC Asset Trust;
- The dealers (co-led with Andrew Parker) in various Intact Financial Corporation's offerings, including $414 million subscription receipt offering, $300 million preferred share offerings (Series 5 and Series 6) and $425 million medium term notes offering;
- The dealers in Saputo Inc.'s $300 million offering of Medium Term Notes and renewal of MTN $2 billion program;
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in the C$40 million private placement of subscription receipts with Stingray Digital Group Inc.;
- CGI Group Inc. in the acquisition of Facilité Informatique Canada Inc.;
- Acted for certain shareholders of The Stars Group Inc. in its public and secondary offering of common shares (US$950 million);
- The underwriters in Transcontinental Inc.'s $287.5 million bought deal offering of subscription receipts;
- Uni-Select Inc. in its £205 million acquisition of The Parts Alliance in the UK;
- Singer Equities, Inc. in its acquisition of Connectall Limited;
- Walter Financial Inc., as seller, in the acquisition of Walter Surface Technologies by ONCAP;
- Innergex Renewable Energy Inc. in its acquisition of Alterra Power Corp.; and
- BCE Inc. in its acquisition of AlarmForce Industries Inc.
Patrick regularly participates in mentorship opportunities and is a frequent contributor to industry publications.
He is also the founder and a director of the Patrick Boucher Family Foundation whose purpose include the relief of poverty, the promotion of health, the advancement of education, addressing and preventing specific problems faced by children and youth and the protection of environment.
Patrick obtained his BBA (Finance) from the École des hautes études commerciales of Montréal in 1991. He successfully completed the Canadian Securities Course of the Canadian Securities Institute in 1992. He obtained his LLB from the Université de Montréal in 1994 and was called to the Québec bar in 1996.
Leading Lawyer : Capital Markets: Debt & Equity - Canada
Leading Lawyer : Capital Markets: Debt & Equity - Nationwide - Canada; Corporate/Commercial - Québec
Client Choice Award (General corporate in Québec)
International Who's Who of Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyers
Nominated one of the world's leading practitioners in Mergers and Acquisitions in Canada
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading lawyer : Corporate Commercial, Corporate mid-market, Corporate Finance & Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A
Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer: Corporate Commercial; Corporate Mid-Market; Corporate Finance & Securities; and Mergers & Acquisitions
The Legal 500 – Canada
Leading lawyer – Capital Markets
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the areas of Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Securities Law
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Market Leader: Capital Markets: Equity, Capital Markets: Debt, M&A, Private Equity, Banking, Financial Services, Investment Management