A seasoned and trusted real estate lawyer, clients turn to Olivia for her practical and timely solutions to help them overcome obstacles facing the real estate industry
Olivia Colic, K.C. is McCarthy Tétrault’s Regional Managing Partner for Alberta and is a partner in the firm’s Real Property & Planning Group in Calgary. Her practice encompasses all areas of commercial real estate including acquisition and sale transactions, domestic and cross-border financing, development and leasing. With more than 25 years’ experience acting as a trusted real estate advisor to property owners, lenders and borrowers, landlords, managers and tenants, Olivia’s solutions-orientated approach ensures clients are successful in mitigating any multi-faceted contractual, operational and financial issues they may face throughout Canada and abroad.
Having acted for several major property developers, pension funds, REIT’s as well as other private investors on the acquisition and disposition of office and industrial properties, hotels and shopping centres, clients benefit from Olivia’s wide-range of experience on many commercial property financings ranging from single property loans to large financings involving complex ownership structures and properties across multiple jurisdictions. She is also one of only a few lawyers in Canada to have been invited to become a Fellow of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys.
Clients also gain from Olivia’s extensive knowledge and experience navigating commercial leasing transactions where she regularly represents landlords and tenants in the negotiation of leases of downtown office portfolios, industrial complexes and retail premises. In addition, she regularly provides advice to clients on all aspects of the management and operation of commercial properties of all sizes and uses, from raw land or stand-alone single-use properties to multi-use projects.
Olivia has advised on several transactions including:
- The City of Calgary in their definitive agreements with the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation and Calgary Exhibition and Stampede to develop and construct a new C$565 million event centre
- ONE Properties in connection with a lease agreement with Amazon for its 1,000,000 square foot fulfillment centre located in Leduc County, Alberta
- LaSalle Investment Management in the acquisition of Edmonton City Centre for C$320 million
- Arrium in the $1.5 billion refinancing of its worldwide assets
- Minto Group in its acquisition of 11 residential complexes in Edmonton and Red Deer and in its $72 million acquisition of the International Hotel in Calgary
- Sabra Health Care REIT in its acquisition of 10 assisted living health care facilities in Canada and ownership and management restructuring of such health care facilities
- The City of Calgary on the negotiation and execution of definitive agreements with Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation for the development and leasing of the new Event Centre replacing the Scotiabank Saddledome
- Slate Asset Management in the acquisition of Stephen Avenue Place (formerly Scotia Centre) in Calgary, Alberta
In addition, Olivia has significant experience advising clients in the telecommunications, pipeline and electric energy sectors, and is often consulted in connection with real estate related issues faced by some of the major players in these industries.
Awards & Rankings
Band 1: Real Estate - Alberta
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Property Development; and Property Leasing
The Legal 500 – Canada
Recommended: Real Estate
Best Lawyers in Canada
Lawyer of the Year: Real Estate Law