Noel Chow is a Partner in the firm’s Financial Services Group in Toronto. Her practice focuses on all aspects of banking and secured lending transactions, including acquisition financings, mezzanine financings, asset-based lending, syndicated and bilateral financings, project finance and multi-jurisdictional and multi-currency transactions. She regularly represents Canadian and foreign banks and financial institutions as well as sponsors and borrowers in various business industries.
Noel balances her legal expertise with her high business acumen. She leverages her business background and prior industry experience when advising clients. She holds a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from the Smith School of Business at Queen’s University and has completed financial management courses at Singapore Management University. Noel received her JD from the Faculty of Law at Queen’s University.
She has gained industry experience as an Associate with TD Commercial Banking, where she was involved in the structuring, underwriting and ongoing portfolio management of corporate borrowers.
Noel was named as a Rising Star: Banking and Finance by The Legal 500 Canada and as a Ones to Watch: Banking and Finance Law by Best Lawyers in Canada.
The following are some of Noel’s recent representative mandates:
- Royal Bank of Canada, as agent, in its C$65 million asset-based revolving credit facility in favour of GreenFirst Forest Products (QC) Inc. and Lumber Assets Holdings L.P.
- RBC Capital Markets and TD Securities, in its syndicated senior secured credit facilities in favour of Corus Entertainment Inc. for approximately C$1.2 billion
- Bank of America, N.A. (Canada Branch), as financial advisor, underwriter and lead arranger in its bridge financing to Rogers Communications Inc., to partially finance its agreement to acquire all of the issued and outstanding Class A Shares and Class B Shares of Shaw Communications Inc for approximately C$26 billion
- Brookfield Asset Management and Enercare Inc. in its acquisition of HydroSolution Ltd., a Quebec-based provider of water heaters, heat pumps, electric vehicle charging stations and other home equipment.
- OMERS and Teranet Inc. on the C$530 million sale of DoProcess LP to Dye & Durham Limited
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, Royal Bank of Canada, Bank of Nova Scotia and The Toronto-Dominion Bank, as co-lead arrangers, in the financing of the acquisition of Northview Apartment Real Estate Investment Trust by Starlight Investments and KingSett Capital, a transaction valued at approximately $4.9 billion. The properties acquired are comprised of a geographically diversified portfolio located within Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. The transaction represents the largest acquisition in the Canadian multi-residential sector in history.
- Novacap, a Canadian private equity firm, in financing its acquisition of a majority interest in Spectrum Health Care
- CCMP Capital Advisors, LP, a U.S. private equity firm, in financing its acquisition of BGIS from Brookfield Business Partners for approximately US$1 billion
- Credit Suisse AG, a Switzerland-based multinational investment bank, in the US$1.48 billion financing to Searchlight Capital Partners, L.P. in connection with its acquisition of Mitel Networks Corporation
- An investor consortium comprised of ANTA Sports Limited, FountainVest Partners, Tencent Holdings Limited and Anamered Investments Inc., in its acquisition of substantially all of the outstanding securities of Amer Sports Corporation for approximately US$5 billion
- Brookfield Asset Management in the C$4.3 billion acquisition of Enercare Inc. by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
- InstarAGF Asset Management Inc. in the acquisition of Skyservice Investments Inc., through the InstarAGF Essential Infrastructure Fund
- An American multinational bank, as agent, in its establishment of asset-based credit facilities for a natural and organic foods distributor
- A leading Canadian bank, as senior lender, in the establishment of senior and subordinate credit facilities for a construction and engineering company
- A major American bank in the establishment of syndicated secured credit facilities for a group of U.S. and Canadian power generation and manufacturing companies
- A prominent American bank in the establishment of syndicated secured credit facilities for a specialty medical device manufacturer and distributor
- An American private investment firm in the acquisition financing of a group of agricultural products suppliers
- An American private equity firm, as lender, in the establishment of a syndicated secured revolving credit facility for a fitness facilities operator
Noel has completed a secondment to the legal department of Manulife Financial, where she assisted with drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, reviewing prospectus disclosure documents and providing legal support and solutions to business units.
Noel is a Co-Founder and Board Member of Banking Together, a network for women, women-identifying and non-binary professionals in Toronto’s banking and financial services sector. Banking Together aims to foster an inclusive environment for equity-seeking professionals to connect, support and share opportunities with one another through every stage of their careers in order to achieve success and emerge as leaders.
Noel is a Faculty Member of Osgoode Hall Law School’s Professional Development program and regularly presents in the Annual Perfect Your PPSA Skills course. She is also a frequent panelist on seminars offered to financial institutions on a variety of lending principles and market trends.
She is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, Canadian Bar Association and Ontario Bar Association.