Thoroughness, availability and solid expertise in indirect taxes. Three factors that send Nicolas’s clients a clear message: They’re in good hands.
Nicolas Désy is a partner in the firm’s Tax Group in Montreal. His practice focuses primarily on indirect taxes.
Before joining McCarthy Tétrault, Nicolas practised with a major professional services firm, where he acted for clients in disputes involving sales taxes, customs and international trade. Prior to that, he practised with a tax group at a national law firm.
Meticulous, human and pragmatic, Nicolas builds relationships of trust with clients, providing them with advice about supply chain planning and corporate structures, with regard to indirect taxes, imports, exports and international trade. He also advises and represents clients in dealings with tax authorities, in contexts such as disputes and challenges.
Our clients can also count on Nicolas’s skill in explaining technical concepts, including indirect taxes, and in passing on his knowledge through training on import compliance issues. In addition, he has prepared customs compliance manuals for his clients, including multinational corporations involved in cross-border activities.
Nicolas obtained a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) with joint majors in Economics and International Management (Mercure Award) from HEC Montréal in 2005, a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from Université de Montréal in 2008, and a Master of Laws, Taxation Option (LLM) from Université de Montréal and HEC Montréal in 2011. He was called to the Québec Bar in 2009.
Nicolas is a member of the Young Bar of Montréal, the Association de planification fiscale et financière and the Canadian Tax Foundation. He is also a co-founder and member of the board of Testicular Cancer Canada and founder of Pro Bono Students Canada at Université de Montréal.
Presentations and publications
- N. Cloutier and N. Désy, “Commodity Tax Stream – Commodity Tax Case Law Update,” TEI Canada Region, 53rd Annual Canadian Tax Conference, May 5 to 8, 2019
- N. Désy, M. St-Roch, A. Boulais, E. Champagne-Couillard, J. Cartagena, M-C. Durocher, D. Gagnon, P. Fleury, F. Hally, B. Lacasse, B. Malboeuf and A. Trottier, APFF – Provincial Budget Summary, March 27, 2018
- N. Cloutier and N. Désy, “Les contrats entre les contribuables et les autorités fiscales: une mise à jour,” APFF – Colloque sur l’administration fiscale 2018, March 22, 2018
- N. Désy, “Le spectre de l’affaire Comeau et le commerce interprovincial,” Stratège, Volume 23, Issue 1, March 2018
- L. Fournier and N. Désy, “Les diverses formes de réorganisations d’entreprise et les aspects liés aux taxes de vente au détail des provinces”, 22e Symposium sur les taxes à la consommation, Association de planification fiscale et financière, May 26, 2015.
- N. Désy and R. Robert, “Truer picture and the fair and reasonable ITC allocation method”, Commodity Tax News, CPA and EY, Volume 22, Issue 4, May 2015.
- D. Albrecht and N. Désy, “New CBSA voluntary disclosure policy for relief of interest and penalties”, Commodity Tax News, CPA and EY, Volume 22, Issue 3, March 2015.
- N. Désy and S. Golsse, “US Customs and Border Protection information requests – Does your organization understand the risks?”, Commodity Tax News, CPA and EY, Volume 22, Issue 2, January 2015.
- J.-G. Shooner and N. Désy, “Canadian Court clarifies the notion of ‘financial service’ in the Excise Tax Act”, Tax Planning International Review, Bloomberg BNA, March 2013.