Nathan Robb is an associate in our Business Law Group in Calgary. His practice focuses on corporate finance and securities, mergers & acquisitions, corporate governance and general corporate matters.
Nathan frequently advises start-up and entrepreneurial ventures in their ongoing corporate affairs. He also acts for vendors and purchasers in public and private M&A transactions and both issuers and underwriters in public and private debt and equity corporate finance transactions. He has experience acting for both sponsors and issuers in private equity transactions.
Nathan has extensive corporate governance and board experience. He currently sits on the board of BioAlberta and several private companies. Recent M&A transactions Nathan has been involved in include representing:
RECENT M&A TRANSACTIONS
- SSR Mining in its definitive agreement with Alacer Gold for a C$2.41 billion at-market merger of equals to form a combined company worth C$5.6 billion
- Silvercorp Metals in its C$120 million share exchange acquisition of TSX-listed Guyana Goldfields
- Red River Oil Inc. in its C$91 million acquisition by Vermillion Energy Inc.
- Parkland Fuel Corporation in its C$1.5 billion acquisition of Chevron Canada’s downstream fuel business
- Painted Pony Energy Ltd. in its C$230 million acquisitions of UGR Blair Creek Ltd.
- Nexen Inc. in its C$15.1 billion acquisition by CNOOC Limited
- Alter NRG Corp. in its C$147 million acquisition by Harvest International New Energy Co. Ltd.
- SilverBirch Energy Corporation in its C$435 million acquisition by Teck Resources Limited and concurrent spin-out of SilverWillow Energy Corporation
- The Independent Committee of the Board of MGM Energy Inc. in its acquisition by Paramount Resources Ltd.
RECENT CORPORATE FINANCE TRANSACTIONS
- The underwriters of a C$125 million offering of senior unsecured notes by Tidewater Midstream and Infrastructure Ltd.
- Painted Pony Petroleum Ltd. in its C$111 million public offering of common shares
- Agrium Inc. in its US$500 million and US$1 billion cross-border offerings of debentures
- The underwriters of a C$518 million subscription receipt offering by MEG Energy Corp.
- The underwriters of multiple public and private equity offerings by Tourmaline Oil Corp.
- The underwriters of a C$200 million offering of common shares by Trilogy Energy Corp.
- The underwriters of a C$150 million offering of senior unsecured notes by Crew Energy Inc.
RECENT PRIVATE EQUITY TRANSACTIONS
- American Securities as Canadian counsel in its acquisitions of Chromaflo Technologies Corp. and Ulterra Drilling Technologies, L.P.
- An Ontario-based pension fund in its US$200 million acquisition of a minority interest in Chaparral Energy, Inc.
- Amalgamated Metals Corporation in its convertible loan and subsequent conversion to an equity position in a start-up Ugandan tin mining corporation
Nathan obtained his LLB from the University of Alberta and his Bachelor of Management – Finance (with Distinction) from the University of Lethbridge. He is a member of the Law Society of Alberta and the Canadian Bar Association.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Nathan practiced in the Calgary and London, UK offices of another major national law firm.