With a range of successes across sectors that shape the economy, Miranda’s impeccable instincts for advocacy change outcomes.
Miranda resolves complex disputes and is a highly regarded trusted business advisor to private and public enterprises. A partner in our Litigation Group, she is also the retail sector lead in the firm’s national Retail and Consumer Markets Group, and a core member of our Mining Litigation, Technology, and Financial Services Groups. A skilled litigator, she is recognized for her strategic thinking and business-oriented problem-solving approach to all disputes.
Practical and pragmatic
Across industries, Miranda combines her business acumen with finely honed advocacy experience to achieve courtroom success for her clients. She has appeared as counsel in the Supreme Court of Canada as well as the superior and appeal courts of British Columbia and Ontario, and the Yukon Supreme Court. She has also represented clients in various commercial arbitration proceedings and class action proceedings.
Miranda’s practice focuses on contractual claims, economic torts, securities litigation, shareholder remedies, corporate governance, internal investigations, as well as internet and e-commerce issues and defamation. Miranda also has extensive experience working with family businesses, and regularly advises retailers and consumer-facing businesses on consumer protection and related issues. Miranda looks at problems holistically, creating custom teams within the firm to address not only the dispute and but also, where possible, the underlying issues. Some of her recent notable work includes:
- successfully enforcing a shareholder buy-out of a multi-million dollar enterprise and defeating claims of tortious interference in a multi-party arbitration;
- successfully defending Silvercorp Metals through to the Ontario Court of Appeal in a proposed securities class action arising out of the losses allegedly sustained by shareholders following the posting of an anonymous blog by a short seller about the Company, establishing an important precedent in this area;
- representing various companies, issuers, shareholders and directors in a variety of shareholder proceedings, including dissent proceedings, plans of arrangement, and oppression;
- successfully resolving a claim for breach of confidence and misappropriation of trade secrets between leading pharmaceutical companies and their former employees;
- successfully intervening before the BC Court of Appeal and in the Supreme Court of Canada on behalf of the music industry and other rights holders in Google v. Equustek, the world’s first case ordering a search engine to de-index certain websites selling counterfeit products from its search results globally;
- obtaining injunctive relief against the perpetrator of major disruption to one of the world’s largest online streaming platforms;
- concluding an internal investigation involving director misconduct and assisting in improving board effectiveness for a major organization; and
- advising several major retailers on a variety of strategic and operational issues, ranging from consumer protection to loss prevention.
Outside of the courtroom, Miranda is the Chair of the Board of Directors at the Vancouver Foundation, the largest community foundation in Canada. She is also a contributing author to Defending Class Actions in Canada published by LexisNexis .
Miranda obtained her LLB from the University of British Columbia in 2002, and served as a judicial law clerk for five justices of the British Columbia Supreme Court following graduation. On graduation, Miranda received the Honourable Ray Herbert Award as the All-round Graduating Student and the Alumni Association Achievement Award as Outstanding Student of the Year. In 2007, she received the University of British Columbia’s Faculty of Law’s Outstanding Young Alumna Award, and in 2001, she was named YWCA Young Woman of Distinction.
Leading Lawyer - Litigation: General Commercial
The Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer - Corporate and Commercial Litigation
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Repeatedly Recommended - Litigation - Corporate Commercial
A Litigation Star (British Columbia) - General Commercial Litigation
Vancouver Magazine's Power 50
Annual Ranking of the City's Most Influential People
"Leading Lawyers Under 40" Award - 2017
The National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
"Best Lawyers Under 40” Award
Association of Women in Finance
PEAK Women in Finance “Rising Star” Award
Business in Vancouver
"Forty Under 40" Award