Delivering deep market insights and technical expertise, Michel effectively navigates clients through critical tax issues
Michel is a partner in the Business Law Group and National Tax Group, located in Québec.
Widely regarded as an exceptional tax practitioner, Michel has significant tax planning capabilities and combines commercial acumen with technical knowledge to deliver pragmatic advice that directly serves clients’ business goals. He also offers considerable experience in M&A with a particular focus on cross-border in-bound structures and strong expertise in capital markets.
Michel is experienced in domestic and international taxation matters and has specialized expertise in structuring domestic and multi-national commercial acquisitions, divestitures, reorganizations, financing, and business combinations.
He advises clients on the tax aspects of ongoing business operations and counsels Canadian and foreign multinational corporate groups, investment funds, including private equity funds, REITs, and pension funds, on the establishment and administration of tax-efficient investment vehicles and other structures in Canada.
Michel has a strong reputation within the business community and is a regular presenter and publisher. He is a member of the Canadian Tax Foundation, Association de Planification Fiscale et Financière, and the Québec Bar Association.
- Acted for Hines, a privately owned global real estate investment firm with US $96.5 billion of assets under management worldwide, in connection with the structuring of its co-ownership arrangement with Ivanhoé Cambridge to develop and manage Bay Park Centre, a multibillion dollar real estate development project.
- Advised The Williams Companies, Inc. and Williams Partners L.P. on the sale of their Canadian natural gas liquids midstream businesses to Inter Pipeline Ltd. for combined cash proceeds of C$1.38 billion.
- Advised several US-based retail companies in connection with the structuring and financing of their business expansions to Canada.
- Advised a German-based private equity fund on the restructuring of a $500 million investment in Canada.
- Advised Canadian-based mining services company on the financing and acquisition of a UK-based target group.
- Advised on the purchase and post-acquisition integration structuring of the Canadian operations of a large multinational pharmaceutical company in connection with a $65 billion global take-over.
- Advised several US REITS on the structuring of real property acquisitions and divestitures in Canada.
- Advised on numerous cross-border financing and acquisition structures for Canadian and foreign multinationals.