Michael Lalande is an e-Discovery Associate in our Toronto office, MT>3, a division of McCarthy Tétrault. MT>3 is Canada’s leader in e-discovery, information governance, and the management of digital information.
Michael’s commitment to innovation and technology ensures clients receive cutting edge and efficient eDiscovery and information governance services. He provides advice to clients on a wide range of litigation and regulatory matters, including class actions, Competition Bureau supplementary information requests, and inquests. Michael has managed and supervised several e-discovery projects for both private and public sector clients, assisting them with complex, large-scale litigation, information governance, and due diligence matters.
Michael studied criminology and justice at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology before getting his Bachelor of Laws from the University of Buckingham. He was called to the Ontario Bar in September 2013. Before attending law school, Michael worked as a criminal defence court agent in Oshawa. He worked as a law student as Shaw, McClellan & Ironside in Collingwood, Ont. and was an articling student at a boutique white-collar criminal defence law firm in Oakville. Michael has worked in e-discovery since 2013 and joined McCarthy Tétrault in May 2017.
Michael is a member of the Digital Evidence and eDiscovery working group, Sedona Working Groups, Treble Victor, The Canadian Bar Association, and The Advocates' Society.
Michael is a retired veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces, earning his Canadian Forces Decoration in 2018.
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Author, The evolution of e-discovery (and of an e-discovery lawyer) – Canadian Lawyer (June 2020)
- TriOS College, Panelist Speaker on The life of an eDiscovery Lawyer (June 2020)
- Relativity podcast Panelist Speaker on Allyship with Susan Wortzman (April 2020)
- Panelist Speaker on Ryerson LPP eDiscovery 101 (November 2019)
- eDiscovery Institute, Panelist Speaker on “Digital evidence and eDiscovery in the headlines” (November 2019)
AUTHOR OF MT>3 BLOG ARTICLES:
- Cyber breaches - part of living in the 21st century? (February 2020)
- The Weakest Link (February 2020)
- Cyber breaches - part of living in the 21st century? Part 2 (July 2020)
- MT>3: Discover Data (July 2020)
- Technology Assisted Review to be employed in high stakes privilege review (May 2018)
- Blockchain for Smart Cities (May 2018)
- The 2017 American football season has begun but we have our sights set on another type of fantasy league: Fantasy SCOTUS! (September 2017)
- There are stingrays in the water (September 2017)
- Sometimes you Can Compare Apples to Oranges (August 2017)