Matthew Sanders is an associate in our Business Law Group in Toronto. He maintains a general corporate, commercial and securities practice which includes assisting both public and private clients with corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and commercial transactions. Matthew has experience assisting clients in a variety of industries, including: food & beverage; pharmaceuticals; cannabis; technology; professional sports; gaming; and mining.
Some of his representative transactions include:
- Slate Office REIT in connection with the establishment of its $40 million at-the-market equity program;
- SNDL Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Alcanna Inc. for total consideration of approximately $346 million;
- Stelco Holdings Inc. in connection with its acquisition of 40% of Hamilton Sports Group Partnership (the owner of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club and the Forge FC);
- Score Media and Gaming Inc. in connection with its acquisition by Penn National Gaming, Inc. for approximately US$2 billion;
- A company that operates a global commodities trading platform in connection with its $10 million Series A preferred share financing;
- The Valens Company Inc. in connection with its acquisition of LYF Food Technologies Inc. for total consideration of up to $42.4 million;
- A company that manufactures vinegar-based food products in connection with its $4.8 million Series A preferred share financing;
- Antarctica Capital, LLC in connection with its acquisition of certain assets and subsidiaries of UrtheCast Corporation out of CCAA proceedings;
- Score Media and Gaming Inc. in connection with various securities offerings, including its February 2021 marketed public offering of US$186.3 million of Class A Subordinate Voting Shares in the United States and Canada, its December 2020 bought deal offering of $46 million of Class A Subordinate Voting Shares and its August 2020 bought deal offering of $25.6 million of Class A Subordinate Voting Shares; and
- S.i. Systems Ltd. in connection with its acquisition by Quad-C Partners.
Matthew is an adjunct professor at the University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Law, teaching “Cannabis Law and Practice”.
During his articles, Matthew was seconded to the Enforcement Branch of the Ontario Securities Commission. Additionally, prior to practising law, he worked in both business and legal capacities with several publicly traded licensed cannabis producers.
Matthew received his JD and MBA from Queen's University, during which time he served as a Hedge Fund Analyst and Portfolio Manager for the Queen's University Alternative Assets Fund. He previously received his BA from Western University.
Matthew was called to the Ontario bar in 2019 and is a member of the Law Society of Ontario.