Matthew is a partner of McCarthy Tétrault in Toronto and a member of the Firm's Board of Partners. Matthew is ranked in the 2018 edition of Chambers & Partners, a peer-validated guide to the best lawyers in Canada, and is listed in the Canadian Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in the areas of corporate mid-market and private equity.
Matthew has extensive experience leading complex and important mergers, acquisitions and other commercial transactions across a wide range of industries. Matthew is often engaged on high-profile transactions, with particular experience advising clients pursuing disruptive or transformative change within an industry or organization. His matters often involve public and governmental sensitivities or diverse stakeholder interests.
Matthew’s representative transactions include:
- Advising Uber in connection with its acquisition of self-driving technology from leading researchers at The University of Toronto, and the formation of its Advanced Technology Group
- Advising Uber in connection with various strategic matters relating to its Canadian operations and expansion
- Advising the Government of Ontario in connection with the legalization and retail distribution of recreational marijuana on Ontario
- Advising Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation on all aspects of its multi-year project to modernize its casino gaming business, including negotiating long-term operating agreements for 28 existing or planned casinos
- Advising Canopy Growth Corporation in connection with various strategic acquisitions
- Advising Kraft Foods Group on its $60 billion merger with H.J. Heinz
- Advising CIBC on its lead sponsorship of the Union-Pearson rail link
- Advising CIBC on the renewal of its affinity program with Aeroplan and partial credit card portfolio sale to TD Bank
- Advising Kraft Foods on the global separation of its grocery and snacks businesses
- Advising OMERS Private Equity and Berkshire Partners on the $2.1 billion acquisition of Husky Injection Molding Systems
- Advising CIBC on the $2.0 billion acquisition of Citibank's Canadian MasterCard business
- Advising the Lafarge Group in connection with several strategic acquisitions and divestitures
- Advising Oxford on the acquisition of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre
Matthew is a Director and member of the Governance Committee of True Patriot Love Foundation, Canada’s most prominent charity supporting military veterans and their families, and a director of the Invictus Games (Canada), part of an international sporting event for wounded, injured and sick military personnel, a charitable initiative founded by Prince Harry. Matthew is also a member of the Firm's Board of Partners and National Pro Bono Committee.