Matthew is highly regarded for leading sophisticated mergers, acquisitions, and commercial transactions, often for high-profile clients pursuing disruptive change.
Matthew has been repeatedly ranked by Chambers & Partners, a peer-validated guide to the best lawyers in Canada, and is listed in the Canadian Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in the areas of Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity.
Clients value Matthew’s extensive experience leading complex and important mergers, acquisitions and other commercial transactions. Matthew is often engaged on high-profile transactions, with particular experience advising clients pursuing disruptive or transformative change within an industry or organization. His matters often involve public and governmental sensitivities or diverse stakeholder interests.
Recognized as a key player in high-profile transactions, Matthew represents industry-leading clients, including banks, private equity firms, pension funds, major corporations and mid-sized businesses. Matthew brings the whole strength of the Firm to bear on a clients biggest opportunities and challenges. Some of his representative transactions include:
- advising Uber in connection with its acquisition of self-driving technology from leading researchers at The University of Toronto, and the formation of its Advanced Technology Group;
- advising Uber in connection with various strategic matters relating to its Canadian operations and expansion;
- advising the Government of Ontario in connection with the legalization and retail distribution of recreational marijuana in Ontario;
- advising Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation on all aspects of its multi-year project to modernize its casino gaming business, including negotiating long-term operating agreements for 28 existing or planned casinos;
- advising Canopy Growth Corporation in connection with various strategic acquisitions;
- advising Kraft Foods Group on its $60 billion merger with H.J. Heinz;
- advising CIBC on its lead sponsorship of the Union-Pearson rail link;
- advising CIBC on its affinity program with Aeroplan;
- advising Kraft Foods on the global separation of its grocery and snacks businesses;
- advising OMERS Private Equity and Berkshire Partners on the $2.1 billion acquisition of an advanced manufacturing business;
- advising CIBC on the $2.0 billion acquisition of Citibank's Canadian MasterCard business;
- advising the Lafarge Group in connection with several strategic acquisitions and divestitures; and
- advising Oxford on the acquisition of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.
Matthew is an experienced corporate director, currently holding the following roles:
- Director and member of the Governance Committee of True Patriot Love Foundation, Canada’s national charity supporting military service members, veterans and their families
- Director of the Invictus Games (Canada), the 2017 host of an international sporting event for wounded, injured and sick military personnel, a charitable initiative founded by Prince Harry
- Director of McCarthy Tétrault LLP, a leading National law firm with over 650 lawyers and offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, New York, and London UK
- Director of MT>Play a consulting and advisory firm focusses on the Canadian and international gaming, lottery, and e-sports sectors
Matthew obtained his BA in 1997 and an LLB in 2000, both from the University of Western Ontario. He was called to the Ontario Bar in 2002.