Matthew is a senior associate in our Business Law Group in Toronto. He maintains a general corporate practice which includes acting on corporate finance, securities, merger and acquisition transactions and corporate governance matters with a particular focus on the food, beverage, agribusiness, cannabis, retail and consumer markets industries.
Matthew’s experience includes advising public and private issuer clients on acquisitions and dispositions of shares and business assets, public and exempt market offerings, initial public offerings, stock exchange listings and corporate reorganizations. He also works with public companies to ensure compliance with securities laws and stock exchange rules, including timely and continuous disclosure obligations and general corporate governance matters, and has acted as legal counsel to financial advisors and special committees to provide advice in the context of public merger and acquisition transactions.
Matthew has completed secondments with the in-house legal teams at Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (supporting their equity markets and prime brokerage businesses) and The Home Depot Canada (supporting their supply chain, procurement, logistics and technology business units).
Matthew is the Chief Editor of the McCarthy Tétrault retail and consumer markets blog, Consumer Markets Perspectives. He frequently speaks and writes on securities law, M&A and corporate governance topics, and teaches a seminar on corporate governance for the advanced securities law program at Western University.
Matthew received his LLB from Dalhousie University in 2011. He was called to the Alberta bar in 2012 and now practices law in Ontario where he has lived since 2015. Matthew is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Canadian Bar Association and the Canadian Association for Food Law and Policy.
- Represented General Mills in the sale of the assets and business related to its Western Creamery business to Gay Lea Foods Co-Operative Limited and associated co-pack arrangements
- Represented City Capital Ventures, LLC in its $112 million acquisition of the Canadian Burger King and Pizza Hut franchise business operations of the Redberry Group, Canada’s largest franchise operator of Burger King quick service restaurants
- Represented Auxly Cannabis Group in the $123 million investment by Imperial Brands plc into Auxly and associated research and development partnership
- Represented Olymel s.e.c. in its $250 million acquisition of Pinty’s Delicious Foods Inc., an Ontario packaged food processing and manufacturing company
- Represented Bell Canada in its acquisition of Axia Netmedia Corporation
- Represented the Special Committee of Equity Financial Holdings Inc. in connection with the go-private acquisition of Equity by plan of arrangement by Smoothwater Capital Corporation
- Advised the Ontario Cannabis Store in connection with various commercial agreements and related matters in connection with the legalization of and retail distribution of recreational marijuana in Ontario
- Represented Corby Spirit and Wine Limited in its acquisition of The Foreign Affair Winery, a Niagara, Ontario region wine producer, and in its acquisition of the distillery assets of Domaines Pinnacle Inc., a Québec craft distillery
- Represented Fyffes plc in its acquisition of Highline Produce Limited and Highline Produce Limited’s subsequent acquisition of All Seasons Mushrooms