Matthew is a senior associate in our Business Law Group in Toronto. He maintains a general corporate practice which includes acting on corporate finance, securities, merger and acquisition transactions and corporate governance matters with a particular focus on the food, beverage, agribusiness, retail and consumer markets industries.
Matthew’s experience includes advising public and private issuer clients on acquisitions and dispositions of shares and business assets, public and exempt market offerings, initial public offerings, stock exchange listings and corporate reorganizations. He also works with public companies to ensure compliance with securities laws and stock exchange rules, including timely and continuous disclosure obligations and general corporate governance matters, and has acted as legal counsel to financial advisors and special committees to provide advice in the context of public merger and acquisition transactions.
Matthew is the Chief Editor of the McCarthy Tétrault retail and consumer markets blog, Consumer Markets Perspectives. He frequently speaks and writes on securities law, M&A and corporate governance topics, including teaching a seminar on corporate governance for the advanced securities law program at Western University.
Matthew received his LLB from Dalhousie University in 2011. He was called to the Alberta bar in 2012 and now practices law in Ontario where he has lived since 2015. Matthew is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
- City Capital Ventures in its acquisition of Redberry Group’s Burger King and Pizza Hut franchisee businesses
- Olymel L.P. in its acquisition of Pinty’s Delicious Foods Inc.
- Bell Canada in its acquisition of Axia Netmedia Corporation
- Canopy Growth Corporation in its acquisition of a Saskatchewan-based hemp business
- the Special Committee of Equity Financial Holdings Inc. in connection with the go-private acquisition of Equity by plan of arrangement by Smoothwater Capital Corporation
- Fyffes plc in its acquisition of Highline Produce Limited
- Highline Produce Limited in its acquisition of All Seasons Mushrooms
- Corby Spirit and Wine Limited in its acquisition of The Foreign Affair Winery
- Corby Spirit and Wine Limited in its acquisition of the spirits business of Domaines Pinnacle Inc.
- Olymel L.P. in its acquisition of Pinnacle Farms Inc.
- InstarAGF Asset Management Inc. in the acquisition of Skyservice Investments Inc., through the InstarAGF Essential Infrastructure Fund