Matt Vaughan is an associate in our Business Law Group in Toronto. His practice involves public and private M&A transactions, private equity fund investment transactions and a range of complex corporate, commercial and securities law matters. He has advised on a number of domestic and cross-border M&A and private equity investment transactions.
Some of Matt’s recent transactions include representing:
- Northleaf Capital Partners in connection with its co-investments in various acquisitions and its primary and secondary investments in various investment funds
- Leon’s Furniture Limited in connection with its C$200 million substantial issuer bid
- ACON Investments in connection with its simultaneous acquisition of Suncoast Seafood Inc. and Raymond O’Neill & Son Fisheries Ltd.
- Nestlé in connection with its acquisition of core brands of The Bountiful Company for US$5.75 billion
- Vista Equity Partners in connection with its acquisition of Power Factors LLC
- Crave It Restaurant Group in connection with the sale of its ownership interest in Burger’s Priest and Fresh
- Helios Fairfax Partners Corporation in connection with its portfolio insurance arrangement with Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited and issuance of unsecured debentures for US$100 million
- Helios Fairfax Partners Corporation in connection with its strategic transaction with Helios Holdings Limited
- Cineworld Group plc in connection with its proposed acquisition of Cineplex Inc. for C$2.8 billion
- A syndicate of underwriters co-led by TD Securities Inc. and CIBC World Markets Inc. in connection with Shaw Communications Inc.’s offering of C$500 million principal amount of 2.90% senior notes
- Morningstar Inc. in connection with its acquisition of PlanPlus Global
- Morningstar Inc. in connection with its acquisition of DBRS for US$669 million
- Summit Industrial Income REIT in connection with its bought deal subscription receipt offering for gross proceeds of C$200 million
- Summit Industrial Income REIT in connection with its bought deal unit offering for gross proceeds of C$149.5 million
- Stifel Financial Corp. in connection with its acquisition of the capital markets business of GMP Capital Inc.
Matt teaches a seminar on public M&A for the advanced securities law program at Western University and regularly volunteers with Pro Bono Ontario’s legal advice hotline.
Matt obtained his First Class Honours BA in Psychology, with a minor concentration in Political Science, from McGill University in 2007. He obtained his JD from the University of Toronto in 2016.