Mathieu Laflamme is McCarthy Tétrault’ s Québec City Office Lead and is a partner in the Business Law Group. Mathieu practices in all major areas of corporate and commercial law, including private equity, mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, corporate reorganizations and financing.
He has advised on a number of Canadian and cross-border acquisitions, and acts for public and private companies as well as institutional investors in a variety of domestic and foreign commercial transactions and operations, such as the implementation of partnerships and other forms of ownership structures in connection with energy and infrastructure projects.
Mathieu is also involved with a number of private equity and venture capital investors and fund managers. His experience includes the formation of several private equity and venture capital funds, as well as acting for both corporations and investors in private equity and venture capital transactions.
In 2018, Mathieu was honoured with a Lexpert Rising Star award, which recognizes Canada’s leading lawyers under the age of 40. Mathieu is listed as a leading lawyer in Corporate Commercial, Corporate Mid-Market and Private Equity in the most recent edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
In most recent projects, Mathieu has been acting for:
- Stonebridge Financial Corporation and Stonebridge Infrastructure Debt Fund II Limited Partnership in connection with the initial and subsequent closings of Stonebridge Infrastructure Debt Fund II Limited Partnership, an Ontario private debt fund (with capital commitments in excess of $200 million), providing project financing in the energy and infrastructure sectors;
- A major retirement home developer in connection with its sale of an equity interest in a retirement home complex to a real estate private equity fund;
- A pension plan in connection with its investment in an American private equity fund focused on the financial services industry;
- A pension plan in connection with its investment in a Canadian private equity fund focused on investments in the telecommunication, media and technology sectors in North America;
- An institutional investor in connection with its investment in a Canadian venture capital fund focused on investments in the telecommunication, media and technology sectors in Canada;
- A pension plan in the automotive industry in connection with its investment as part of the second closing of Fiera Axium Infrastructure Canada Limited Partnership, a $460-million infrastructure and energy private equity fund;
- Fonds d’investissement pour la relève agricole (FIRA), société en commandite and its general partner Gestion FIRA inc., in connection with the formation of a $75-million agricultural private equity fund;
- Investissement Québec, Fonds de solidarité FTQ and FIER Partenaires, société en commandite, as limited partners, in three Québec based technology venture capital funds;
- IQ FIER Inc. (a subsidiary of Investissement Québec) in connection with the formation of more than twenty regional private equity funds;
Energy and Infrastructure
- A Québec based wind farm developer in connection with the call for tenders issued by Hydro-Québec for the purchase of a block of wind power produced by facilities in Québec with an installed capacity of 450 MW;
- Enbridge Inc. in connection with its acquisition of an equity interest in wind farms located in the Province of Québec;
- Vents du Kempt Wind Power L.P. in connection with its acquisition of the Vents du Kempt wind power project (101.2 MW);
- Enbridge Inc. in connection with its acquisition of an undivided interest in the Lac Alfred wind power project (300 MW);
- A consortium comprised of Gaz Métro and Boralex Inc. in connection with the development of the Seigneurie de Beaupré wind power projects (272 MW);
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in connection with the sale to SUEZ Energy Astoria, LLC of its indirect ownership interest in Astoria Energy LLC, the owner and operator of an approximately 540-MW natural-gas-fired, combined-cycle electricity-generating facility in Queens County, New York;
- Gaz Métro, the principal distributor of natural gas in the Province of Québec, in connection with the implementation of a $840-million liquefied natural gas (LNG) receiving terminal project in Lévis, Province of Québec;
- Innergex Renewable Energy Inc. in connection with its $417-million strategic combination with Innergex Power Income Fund;
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec acquire minority stake in Groupe Océan
- Majority shareholders of Bookenda in connection with the sale of all of its issued and outstanding shares to Yellow Media Limited;
- A major service provider and its principal in the entertainment business in connection with a corporate reorganization and the sale of its shares to a consortium of private equity investors;
- Thomson Reuters in connection with its acquisition of the trademark business of Onscope, a provider of trademark searching, monitoring and online screening in Canada;
- Fonds de solidarité FTQ in connection with its acquisition of a majority interest in Les Brasseurs du Nord, brewers of the “Boréale” beers;
- Olympus NDT Corporation in connection with mergers and acquisitions in Canada and the United States; and
- Nutriart Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Laura Secord, Canada’s best-known chocolatier.
Web content composed with the free online wysiwyg HTML editor. Please subscribe for a membership to remove promotional messages from the edited documents.