Partner in the firm’s Montréal office and member of the firm’s Board of Partners, Mason Poplaw has 25 years of experience as a corporate commercial litigator with a practice emphasis on insolvency, restructuring, corporate governance and securities.
Mason has extensive experience in cases heard in the commercial chamber of the Superior Court of Québec in various corporate restructuring, commercial, corporate and securities litigation proceedings. He develops strategies for financial institutions, corporations and trustees as part of the restructuring and reorganization of corporations. He has considerable experience with securities class actions, financial frauds, and corporate governance issues involving plans of arrangement, liquidation and oppression remedies. He has appeared before all Québec judicial courts, before the Supreme Court of Canada, and in numerous commercial arbitration proceedings.
Mason has had a leading role representing clients in several high-profile commercial cases including:
- Defending Desjardins Financial Security (Insurance Co.) in class action alleging wrongful disclosure on the market;
- Representing the court appointed Monitor in the CCAA restructuring of Homburg Investment Inc.;
- Defending the auditors of Sino-Forest Corporation in class actions alleging wrongful disclosure on the primary and secondary markets;
- Defending former Manulife Insurance Co. D&O in class action alleging wrongful disclosure on the secondary market;
- Representing the court appointed Monitor in the CCAA restructuring of Davie Shipbuilding Inc.;
- Defending National Bank Financial Group in the Asset Backed Commercial Paper restructuring and related litigation;
- Defending the directors of Canadian Energy Inc. in a class action alleging wrongful disclosure on the primary and secondary market;
- Defending TD Financial Group in class action alleging illegal credit charges on credit card advances;
- Representing the receiver appointed in virtue of the Québec Securities Act to administer Triglobal Capital Management Inc., a securities broker with more than $1,600,000,000 under management;
- Defending FMF Capital LLC and its D&O in class actions alleging wrongful disclosure on primary and secondary markets;
- Representing the receiver appointed by the Minister of Finance of Québec pursuant to the Securities Act to administer Corporation Mount Real Inc., MRACS Management Ltd, Real Vest Investment Ltd, Real Assurance Acceptance Corporation, iForum Securities and iForum Financial Services;
- Provisional administrator and liquidator appointed by the Minister of Finance of Québec pursuant to the Securities Act to administer and/or wind up Zenith Management and Research Corporation, Les conseillers en valeurs Planiges inc., and Zenith Stable Value Growth Fund;
- The main secured creditors in the CCAA restructuring of PanGeo Pharma Inc and of CinéGroupe Inc.;
- The former directors of Câble Satisfaction International Inc. in a class action and oppression remedy initiated by shareholders further to its restructuring under the CCAA;
- The receiver-manager designated under the CBCA in a dispute between OrthoSoft Inc. shareholders.
He is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Turnaround Management Association and the Risk Management Institute.
Québec, Litigation: General Commercial
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading practitioner in insolvency and financial restructuring, corporate and commercial litigation, directors & officers liability litigation and securities litigation
Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 lawyers in Canada
Best Lawyers in Canada