A leading litigator in high-profile disputes, Mason is experienced in complex commercial, corporate and securities matters.
Mason is a partner in the Montréal office. Known for his business acumen and broad experience as a corporate commercial litigator, his practice focuses primarily on corporate disputes, governance, securities, internal investigations, crisis management, insolvency, and restructuring.
Recognized for his ability to successfully manage litigation and investigations matters with a great deal at stake, Mason leverages his considerable corporate and financial industry knowledge to find practical solutions to complex disputes. Working with a range of clients including financial institutions, public and privately held corporations, and trustees, he takes a strategic approach to securities and banking class actions, financial product liabilities cases, financial frauds, corporate governance issues, plans of arrangement, liquidation, oppression remedies, complex contract disputes, and directors’ liabilities.
Clients appreciate Mason’s ability to gain insight into the dispute and bring the right angles and arguments before the court to achieve swift and successful resolutions. He has appeared before all Québec judicial courts, before the Supreme Court of Canada, and in numerous commercial arbitration proceedings. Mason has had a leading role representing clients in many high-profile commercial cases including:
- lead counsel representing the Desjardins Group (the largest federation of credit unions in North America) in defense of class actions alleging damages in relation to one of the largest data breach in Canada;
- lead counsel representing Bombardier Aerospace in a very significant (claim of several hundreds of million) and complex contractual dispute with one of its supplier;
- lead counsel representing The Toronto Dominion Bank in defence of class action brought by borrowers on Home Equity Line of Credit accounts, who allege they engaged in illegal interest rate increases following the 2008 financial crisis;
- a large National bank in several class actions, all alleging participation in credit card transaction fee price-fixing conspiracies;
- lead counsel representing the Desjardins Group in a multi-billion dollar class action in Québec alleging misrepresentations made in relation to and mismanagement of complex Principal Protected Notes;
- representing the court appointed Monitor in the CCAA restructuring of Homburg Investment Inc.;
- defending the auditors of Sino-Forest Corporation in class actions alleging wrongful disclosure on the primary and secondary markets;
- defending former Manulife Insurance Co. D&O in class action alleging wrongful disclosure on the secondary market;
- representing the court appointed Monitor in the CCAA restructuring of Davie Shipbuilding Inc.;
- defending National Bank Financial Group in the Asset Backed Commercial Paper restructuring, regulatory investigation and related litigations;
- defending the directors of Canadian Energy Inc. in a class action alleging wrongful disclosure on the primary and secondary market;
- defending TD Financial Group in class action alleging illegal credit charges on credit card advances;
- representing the receiver appointed in virtue of the Québec Securities Act to administer Triglobal Capital Management Inc., a securities broker with more than $1,600,000,000 under management;
- defending FMF Capital LLC and its D&O in class actions alleging wrongful disclosure on primary and secondary markets;
- representing the receiver appointed by the Minister of Finance of Québec pursuant to the Securities Act to administer Corporation Mount Real Inc., MRACS Management Ltd., Real Vest Investment Ltd., Real Assurance Acceptance Corporation, iForum Securities and iForum Financial Services;
- Provisional administrator and liquidator appointed by the Minister of Finance of Québec pursuant to the Securities Act to administer and/or wind up Zenith Management and Research Corporation, Les conseillers en valeurs Planiges inc., and Zenith Stable Value Growth Fund;
- the main secured creditors in the CCAA restructuring of PanGeo Pharma Inc. and of CinéGroupe Inc.;
- the former directors of Câble Satisfaction International Inc. in a class action and oppression remedy initiated by shareholders further to its restructuring under the CCAA; and
- the receiver-manager designated under the CBCA in a dispute between OrthoSoft Inc. shareholders.
Band 1: Litigation: General Commercial - Québec
The Legal 500 - Canada
Hall of Fame: Dispute Resolution - Quebec
Benchmark Litigation Canada
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Insolvency & Financial Restructuring - Insolvency Litigation, Corporate Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Directors' & Officers' Liability, Class Actions; Litigation - Securities
Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 lawyers in Canada
Lexpert Special Edition: Litigation
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer in the areas of Corporate and Commercial Litigation and Director and Officer Liability Practice