Recognized for her creative, practical and business-centric approach, Marie-Soleil provides tangible solutions and advice to our clients’ most complex challenges.
Marie-Soleil Landry is a Partner in our Tax Group in Montréal. Her practice encompasses all aspects of tax law, with an emphasis on corporate tax and tax planning. Marie-Soleil is involved in analyzing and developing complex strategies in connection with a variety of commercial transactions for clients of the firm, including public and private mergers and acquisitions and cross-border reorganizations. Whatever the tax issue, Marie-Soleil skillfully navigates complexity to deliver results.
In parallel to her practice, Marie-Soleil is actively involved in the tax community. She has published various articles, spoken on a variety of taxation topics and assisted in writing and editing tax publications in collaboration with Thompson Reuters.
Marie-Soleil has recently acted as tax counsel in the following mandates:
- Nestlé in its agreement to acquire core brands of The Bountiful Company for US$5.75B;
- Le Groupe Maurice in its partnership with US-based Ventas Inc. through the sale of 85% interest in its Canadian senior housing portfolio;
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in its acquisition of holdings of Cirque du Soleil from the founder, Guy Laliberté;
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec ("CDPQ") in its increase in its majority interest in Énergir through the acquisition of Enbridge’s 38.9% stake in Noverco Inc. by Trencap L.P.;
- Champion Iron in its refinancing and acquisition of 100% of Bloom Lake for C$650 million;
- McInnis Cement in its C$500 million private capital refinancing for the construction of a cement plant and several marine terminals totaling C$1.5 billion;
- Nestlé S.A. in its US$2.3 billion acquisition of Atrium Innovations Inc., a transaction which was nominated for consumer products tax deal of the year at the International Tax Review Awards – Americas 2018;
- The Hewitt Group in its C$1.0177 billion acquisition by Toromont Industries Ltd which transaction was nominated for consumer products tax deal of the year at the International Tax Review Awards – Americas 2018;
- Rayonier Advanced Materials Inc. in its C$1.1 billion acquisition of Tembec Inc.;
- Audiokinetic Inc. in its acquisition by Sony Interactive Entertainment.
- Dialogue Health Technologies Inc. in its initial public offering for gross proceeds of C$100 million.
After obtaining her Bachelor of Laws from Université Laval in 2010, she obtained a Master’s degree in taxation at the Université de Sherbrooke. She is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Young Bar Association of Montreal, the Canadian International Fiscal Association and the Canadian Tax Foundation. Marie-Soleil was called to the Quebec Bar in 2012.