With her wealth of experience, collaborative approach and understanding of business concerns, clients rely on Marie-France to assist them in piloting the strategic aspects of their transactions
Marie-France Gagnon is a partner in the Montreal Business Law Group and her practice focuses on corporate finance, project financing, asset financing, and banking. She represents banks, financial institutions, private equity clients and other lenders and borrowers in transactions involving the implementation of various types of financings (including cross-border financing) and transactions in the energy, pulp and paper, infrastructure, agribusiness, technology and aviation industries, amongst others.
Clients appreciate Marie-France’s mindful and transparent approach and her ability to recognize the spectrum of interests, concerns and risk levels that are inherent when a variety of stakeholders are involved. With her ability to understand the dynamics at play, adapt and conceptualize original solutions, Marie-France is able to maneuver complex transactions to the finish line and is able to develop strategies that are truly tailored to the client and their needs.
Marie-France's recent experience includes:
- Acting as lead Canadian counsel for HPS Investment Partners, LLC as administrative agent, collateral agent and lead for a syndicate of lenders that included funds owned or managed by HPS Investment Partners, Apollo Capital Management, and Ares Management in connection with the three-year US$1 billion senior secured term loan facility made available to Bombardier.
- Acting as lead legal advisor to Kruger Products Sherbrooke Inc., a subsidiary of Kruger Products L.P., in connection with the financing of the C$575 million TAD2 Project which consists of the construction of a new, state-of-the-art tissue plant in the Brompton area of Sherbrooke, Quebec by way of senior credits made available by a lending syndicate led by American AgCredit FLCA and National Bank of Canada, the issuance of a C$105 million convertible debenture to Investissement Québec, a senior secured credit facility made available to Kruger Products by Nordea Bank Abp, filial i Sverige, and a factoring facility made available to Kruger Products by The Bank of Nova Scotia.
- Acting as lead legal advisor to banking syndicates and other lenders as well as major companies in the pulp and paper industry, the consumer product industry and the energy sector in connection with the implementation of credit and project financing facilities to finance construction projects, reorganizations, sales and acquisitions;
- Acting as lead legal advisor to operators in connection with the financing of wind, hydro and biomass power projects;
- Acting as lead legal advisor to issuers in connection with the offering of senior unsecured notes by way of private placement.
- Acting as lead legal advisor to major creditors in connection with the financing of aircrafts and helicopters through loans, leases or leasing;
- Acting as legal advisor to purchasers and sellers in connection with the sale of loan or lease portfolios in the aircraft and mortgage industries;
Marie-France acted as leader of the Business Law Group for the Quebec Region for 4 years and continues to be involved in mentoring and internal professional development initiatives.
Marie-France sits on the executive committee and the Board of Directors of le Cercle canadien de Montréal (The Canadian Club) where she assists in organizing CEO conferences throughout the year and, from time to time, acts as presenter. In the community, Marie-France volunteers her time with Fondation Jeunes en Tête, an organization whose mission is to prevent psychologic distress among youth aged 11 to 18 in Quebec.
Marie-France received her BCL degree from McGill University in 1995 and her BA in Psychology from Université de Montréal in 1992. She was called to the Québec bar in 1996.
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Asset Equipment Finance/Leasing; Banking & Financial Institutions; Project Finance; and Energy (Electricity)
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the areas of banking and finance and equipment finance law
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Highly Regarded: Banking