Marc-Étienne Boucher is an associate in the Bankruptcy & Restructuring and Litigation groups in our Montreal office. He is involved in various matters under the BIA and the CCAA and represents clients from various industries, such as debtors, creditors, lenders, trustees, receivers and strategic acquirers. In the course of his practice, he regularly pleads before the courts of first instance and the court of appeal. His extensive expertise allows him to assist clients in all aspects of the insolvency and restructuring process.
Marc-Étienne has notably worked in the following cases, in which he represented:
- The Trustee, in the bankruptcy of Public Bike System Company (Bixi);
- A potential acquirer of the assets of North American Lithium, in the Arrangement relatif à North American Lithium Inc., 2022 QCCS 587;
- The Department of Justice of a foreign state, in the restructuring of Groupe Dynamite;
- HSBC, in the Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) fee class action (Defrance et Vaillancourt-Thivierge Banque de Montréal et al.);
- The debtors Hexagone Group LP, Les Entreprises commerciales Hexagone inc., Investissements Hexagone inc., Location Hexagone inc., 9324-9928 Québec inc., 9328-5021 Québec inc. and 9325-0041 Québec inc., in the context of restructuring proceedings under the CCAA;
- The debtors Motovan Corporation and Motorcycle Tires & Accessories LLC et al., in the context of restructuring proceedings under the CCAA;
- PricewaterhouseCoopers inc., in the interim administration of the guarantee plan of La Garantie Habitation du Québec Inc.;
- Cascades Canada, in the context of oppression proceedings in Craig Packaging Ltd. Beaumont, 2020 QCCS 367;
- Majority shareholders, in the context of various oppression proceedings;
- Businesses and employees, in the context of multiple remedies and injunctions related to the application of non-competition and non-solicitation clauses;
Marc-Étienne also has extensive expertise in civil and commercial litigation, including in the context of extraordinary remedies and injunctions. His clients appreciate his efficiency and ability to understand complex issues and resolve a wide range of disputes.
Before joining McCarthy Tétrault, Marc-Étienne was a senior associate at a national law firm and also worked several years at a major Quebec law firm. During his studies, he clerked at the Superior Court of Quebec and worked as a research assistant for one year for the Honourable Paul Mayer, j.s.c.
Marc-Étienne was called to the Quebec Bar in 2016 and obtained his LL.B. from Université de Montréal in 2015.